Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #37
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I think he means the actual fuel maps that are put in. Going turbo isn't that hard to do as a lot of people have done it. Bolt on the manifold, run some oil lines, and run some exhaust and intake piping. The hard part is that the computer is not made to run with one so you have to use either a piggy-back engine/fuel controller or a complete stand alone computer system in your car.

The fuel management is the really tricky part and requires dyno tuning to get it right. This can translate into hours on a dyno adjusting trim levels, fuel maps, and A/F ratios so you don't blow the side out of your engine and so you get the most power out of a given PSI.

There are no complete turbo kits out there as each car reacts somewhat differently to a given setup. If there were a kit, it would probably be way too conservative for the price (like the supercharger kit which adds around 25hp for $4000).

I don't own a turbo car but have heard many stories of what it takes to do a turbo right.
Thanks. The reason I asked that question is that I formed my somewhat negative opinion about turbos based on family and friends who had turbocharged Audis of the same vintage as Why?'s Saab and also Audis older than that....and all of these Audi owners were not exactly trailblazers when it came to maintaining these Audis .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #38
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
By 'tuned correctly', do you mean not changed from factory specs, or do you mean it in the sense of 'well maintained' ?
As Beef mentioned, if the car came stock with a turbo, just leaving it alone and taking the care of the car should be it enough for it to last until the car dies.

And honestly, for an aftermarket turbo, just do it right. There is a reason people like Garm and Blown XA can go forever and a day without blowing up engines with high boost. Or why Supras can go over 500hp on stock internals without issues.

The problem with so many people that do aftermarket turbos is they half ass them. And then when the air is too hot, or there is nowhere near enough fuel, or the injectors stick open, etc, their engines blow up. And they never ever blame their own stupidity.

The engines of those early Audi Quattros were rock solid. The bodies however is why they are now rare.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #39
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Interesting car but the turbo probably rules it out for me.
Maybe I can take it off and sell to someone here?
Wouldn't that be a Fiesta SE then? oh wait, with nicer seats..

Quote:
Hell, I could even get a Scion FRS for near the same price
Two-seater. Apples to oranges. I need four seats and four doors.

I wasnt impressed with the Focus ST, but I'll keep an open mind. Fiesta looks great to me. I will certainly test drive one when they arrive. THEN I'll post an opinion about it. You guys are funny.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #40
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Still think the WRX is the king of the 4 door performance car at this price point.