Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
Interesting. Since I bike to work, sometimes I don't use my car for a few days, so that might actually be an issue (getting to my car after half a week and the battery being dead).
Wifi is a bit of a power hog, so other than adding a second battery you'd need to get to the car regularly to start it and charge the battery for a bit.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
JohnnyRockets

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
This morning I went to get an official inspection and estimate from my insurance provider.

Do these charges seem too high or is this a pretty fair pricing?

JohnnyRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #21
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
That sounds pretty cheap to me. The labor rate when I got my Yaris fixed recently was over double that.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
That sounds pretty cheap to me. The labor rate when I got my Yaris fixed recently was over double that.
Thank you. That is good to hear.

Is it acceptable to purchase my own parts? Is that a faux pas?

I found all three parts for less expensive at toyotapartsoverstock.com.

For example, 6905152440 (RT Cylinder & Key Set):
- $63.70 from the insurance quote
- $46.51 here: http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...905152440.html

Anyone have experience purchasing through here or any other Toyota parts website?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Unfortunately the burglar would probably know that (in California) you would have to have a reasonable fear of great bodily harm in order to use your gun, so he might not be afraid. You could, however, have a manual gun trap set up to get him/her and if that happened to kill him/her, that would be legal (People v. Ceballos).
You mean illegal! Ceballos was convicted!!

Booby traps are illegal in California.

To add, now, if a burglar is running away from your house, you cant shoot him, as he is no longer a threat.

Lastly, Tooters idea of sitting in the car with a gun, would also fall under the booby trap law. The defense would state he normally wouldnt have been there, and put himself in "harm's way"
Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely Red 12 View Post
You mean illegal! Ceballos was convicted!!

Booby traps are illegal in California.

To add, now, if a burglar is running away from your house, you cant shoot him, as he is no longer a threat.

Lastly, Tooters idea of sitting in the car with a gun, would also fall under the booby trap law. The defense would state he normally wouldnt have been there, and put himself in "harm's way"
You are correct. I read the summary too quickly and misread it. I thought that People v Ceballos extinguished a duty to retreat if a gun trap was used (as a trap isn't a person), rather than extinguishing a disclaimer of culpability exerted under a castle doctrine defense.

Thank you for adding all of the other correct information as well ...as, IMO, your additional correct info bolsters the overall tone that I was after.....Namely, that the laws and policies in California (unlike those in Texas) embolden the criminal, not the resident. IMO (and in the opinion of many in Texas) a burglar should be afraid he might get shot while trying to commit a burglary....a few might then make the decision not to commit the burglary.

I know many people in California feel that 'we can't make things more lenient for the resident/property owner because a mistake might be made and an innocent person might be killed' (and I'm NOT saying that you are saying you feel that way). IMO, that is an emotional argument akin to Obama's push for gun control legislation because it would be worth doing if, at a minimum, it saves one child's life....playing on the imagery of Newtown....harping on that one side, rather than weighing that side with the other side -- for example -- women home alone with children being less able to defend themselves and their children from an intruder and not being able to change that circumstance by moving to another state.

I think Texas has it right because we have the presence of a strong deterrent/deterrents (as Singapore does), but some of our deterrents can be exerted on an individual basis, not by the strong hand of government, as is the case in Singapore...and we don't have to give up some of the freedoms that the people of Singapore don't enjoy. I think California is moving slightly toward the other edge of the coin, and that end has been marked by what we've seen recently in England and in Sweden.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Yep! I have plenty of guns but I've used pepper spray and a pipe, and really messed up some folks, on two occasions. The guns are for end of the world type activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Unfortunately the burglar would probably know that (in California) you would have to have a reasonable fear of great bodily harm in order to use your gun, so he might not be afraid. You could, however, have a manual gun trap set up to get him/her and if that happened to kill him/her, that would be legal (People v. Ceballos).

The current law in Texas (part of which came to this point on September 1st 2007) is that your vehicle and your workplace are included (with your home of course) as part of your habitat...and the perception of what is reasonable or threatening is your perception (not what is reasonable to others)...and only three things have to be the case to allow your assumption to be valid = 1. Have a right to be at the location -- 2. not have provoked the other person -- and 3. you must not be in the process of committing a crime yourself.

IMO, the law in California in such a situation is liberal drivel and should instead be the same as it is in Texas.

I''ve had a few people, in the process of playfully teasing me about being from California, refer to the related statutes in California as 'The California Apology'.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #26
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
You may want look into higher end model Toyotas with the same type of door handle, than you could get chrome and not need to paint.

Quote:
Thank you. That is good to hear.

Is it acceptable to purchase my own parts? Is that a faux pas?

I found all three parts for less expensive at toyotapartsoverstock.com.

For example, 6905152440 (RT Cylinder & Key Set):
- $63.70 from the insurance quote
- $46.51 here: http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...905152440.html

Anyone have experience purchasing through here or any other Toyota parts website?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Yep! I have plenty of guns but I've used pepper spray and a pipe, and really messed up some folks, on two occasions. The guns are for end of the world type activities.
A considerably older, but tough, friend of mine owned a shop in the South Shore Center in the 90s. Finally, after I think it was the third time they got robbed ( and after getting in some good licks defending themselves), he and his partners decided enough was enough, closed the shop, and moved to Contra Costa County.

Is the insufficient law enforcement presence in Oakland spilling over into Alameda even more than in the past?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #28
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

Drives: 2010 Ylw 3dr. AT(Blue-Wife's)
I would run a wire from my 110 hot plug in to the frame, discreetly....cures male dogs too!

Repair List:
1 new blower motor, making funny noise. @ 91K (Water pump @ 120K)
Mod List:
1. Black tape on most of the annoying blue high beam light behind the lens. (thank you CTScott)
BIGTAZ351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Quote:
This morning I went to get an official inspection and estimate from my insurance provider.

Definitely isn't bad in price.
I've seen triple that on similar situations.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #30
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Good price. Pretty cheap actually
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #31
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
I am sorry to see you have had damage to your car. I never considered that anyone would ever attempt to break into a Yaris. The cost of repair is not that bad, but having to do it in the first place would simply make me angry.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #32
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirapatec View Post
I am sorry to see you have had damage to your car. I never considered that anyone would ever attempt to break into a Yaris. The cost of repair is not that bad, but having to do it in the first place would simply make me angry.
I agree. Who in the !@#$ would break into a Yaris.

Yes, it is infuriating.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #33
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Who in the !@#$ would break into a Yaris.
Aren't some cars from Japan stolen to be stripped for the parts (as the total worth is more that way) ?