Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
Christine88

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Has Toyota gone downhill?

Finally got my Yaris to the dealer and they confirmed that my shift problem is the PRNDL sensor switch. They told me it will cost $589 installed. They said the switch is $333 which contradicts the invoice quote their parts department gave me which states $264.12 net. The quote state that the list price is $333 but the net is $264.12. Are they trying to charge me list? Anyway this switch problem is unacceptable for a Toyota. The main reason I purchase Toyotas is to avoid this kind unreliability but now I have to wonder if Toyota has gone downhill.
Christine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine88 View Post
...Anyway this switch problem is unacceptable for a Toyota. The main reason I purchase Toyotas is to avoid this kind unreliability but now I have to wonder if Toyota has gone downhill.
Isn't this switch sensor that you said that you think might have damaged by hitting something, in another thread?

Quote:
... I did run over something come to think of it but it was days ago maybe even a week. I remember hoping it didn't do any damage ...
What's unacceptable about that? You hit something, and that something damaged your car. I wouldn't say that that makes the car or the brand unreliable. I mean you wouldn't say that Wilson is an unreliable brand because their volleyballs down hold air when they get hit with a butcher knife, would ya?

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
In your other thread, did you not mention hitting an object on the road a few days prior to the issue occurring?

I definitely think they are overcharging you, but considering that yours is only the second one I have ever heard of failing (and that it may not have been a true failure of the component) I wouldn't say that this is a common issue or indicator of failing quality.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
And let's not get started on the sticky accelerator pedals!
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
NEVER had the issue happening in my entourage. My dad even have a 07 Camry which was part of the recalled pedals.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Buy the sensor through ToyotaPartsZone.com and save a great deal of money. They bring it into the dealer for install. If they are asshats and won't do it (They should since it is a Toyota OEM part) then take to an independent shop. There is a reason why they call them Stealerships.

As for your comments about Toyota quality they are honestly quite misfounded in this platform. They are extremely reliable and have been released as several models worldwide; Yaris, Vitz, Belta, Vios, etc.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:59 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Finally got my Yaris to the dealer and they confirmed that my shift problem is the PRNDL sensor switch. They told me it will cost $589 installed. They said the switch is $333 which contradicts the invoice quote their parts department gave me which states $264.12 net. The quote state that the list price is $333 but the net is $264.12. Are they trying to charge me list? Anyway this switch problem is unacceptable for a Toyota. The main reason I purchase Toyotas is to avoid this kind unreliability but now I have to wonder if Toyota has gone downhill.
This sort of thing has been going on since I was 15 years old.

Which is why you want to fix your car yourself and avoid the dealer!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #8
Christine88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
Isn't this switch sensor that you said that you think might have damaged by hitting something, in another thread?

What's unacceptable about that? You hit something, and that something damaged your car. I wouldn't say that that makes the car or the brand unreliable. I mean you wouldn't say that Wilson is an unreliable brand because their volleyballs down hold air when they get hit with a butcher knife, would ya?
Yes I remember hitting something but did it hit the switch? Not likely I was told because they didn't see any physical damage and they said that it being on the side of the engine it's pretty well protected. I guess it's possible that it was struck but much more likely it just crapped out which brings me back to my original question of Toyota not being what it use to be. But I'm just speculating.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 AM   #9
Christine88

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
Well I've never had that happen thank God.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:42 AM   #10
Christine88

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Buy the sensor through ToyotaPartsZone.com and save a great deal of money. They bring it into the dealer for install. If they are asshats and won't do it (They should since it is a Toyota OEM part) then take to an independent shop. There is a reason why they call them Stealerships.

As for your comments about Toyota quality they are honestly quite misfounded in this platform. They are extremely reliable and have been released as several models worldwide; Yaris, Vitz, Belta, Vios, etc.
I think they have already ordered the part. But They told me to bring the quote which clearly states $264. Hopefully they'll honor it. If not I'll complain and if I have to I'll start crying. That usually works.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 AM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
In the manufacturing world everything has a % rate of failure. You're caught in the situation where it truly sucks to be the one getting hit with something in the near 0% failure rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #12
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
yeah, I fail to see how one item going bad on a 6 yr old car equates to Toyota going downhill
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #13
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
if I have to I'll start crying. That usually works
And you're worried about Toyota's quality?
Norton
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #14
bairjo

Quote:
The main reason I purchase Toyotas is to avoid this kind unreliability but now I have to wonder if Toyota has gone downhill.
You are correct, they are going down hill. This is the first time in my 55 years on this earth that i have heard of a Toyota needing a repair. Why compared to my Chevy s-10 blazer I traded in for my first Yaris, the need for one repair is just unacceptable. (This is alll sarcasm of course.) Don't even ask about how many things went wrong with my chevy...

How old is your car anyhow and how many miles on it when you ran over something and damaged it?
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #15
Christine88

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
yeah, I fail to see how one item going bad on a 6 yr old car equates to Toyota going downhill
6 years for a Toyota is nothing. I have a 2002 Echo hand me down from my dad that has almost 200K miles and has never had a major issue necessitating a tow to the repair shop so this problem for a 2011 is just unacceptable.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #16
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Under the circumstances, your complaint and your comment seem unreasonable.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #17
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
6 years for a Toyota is nothing. I have a 2002 Echo hand me down from my dad that has almost 200K miles and has never had a major issue necessitating a tow to the repair shop so this problem for a 2011 is just unacceptable.

Really sorry that you feel this way. Since 2002 manufacturing has become even more reliable. As previously stated ALL electronic components from the factory face the possibility of some type of failure. Let's be very realistic here. For all you know there could have been some type of electrical issue, or surge, or something else that could have affected the component. They are designed with certain tolerances however they can be fallible. Now if you had the part crap out on you within the first year or two then I would think you would have reason to complain however there is not one manufacturer out there that has a perfect track record.

Also you cannot necessarily hold Toyota responsible for a part they most likely did not actually create. Most items come from another manufacturer to be assembled by the automotive corporation. Your rationale would mean that even though Takata Corp for example manufactures air bags for many auto corps that inherently those auto corps are going down hill by default. This is misguided to say the least.

We aren't here to gang up on you, far from it, but many folks in this community are Toyota faithful and many have great experience as well as expertise and knowledge of their vehicles and the components in them. About the only way that I see that Toyota is going downhill is their lack of vision at this stage. The bland offerings they have which can barely evoke a passion for the company or their offerings. We purchased a 2012 Highlander for example late last fall. We will be trading it in by summer for several reasons however none of them mechanical or electrical, etc. Just comfort issues, lack of amenities at what is considered a higher level trim, and a few design quibbles.

Don't let this issue affect the care that you have for your vehicle. I totally get how there is an expectation as well as the cost associated, but honestly only having to deal with a few hundred dollars in repairs on a vehicle that is 6 years old isn't bad. Hell, if you avg that $333 out over the 6 years (possibly 7 depending on manufacture date and sale) that only equals roughly $55 bucks a year. That is a drop in the hat. I actually felt the same way when my rear main seal went on my 96 Tercel at only 54k miles. That happened just inside of 5 years, but it was the only issue ever with the car I had in the 10 years of ownership. To this day the car is now on the 3rd owner with over 270k miles on it. The only other items that went bad were wheel bearings and brakes which are wearable items and they took over 10 years to have to be replaced. I live in a small town area so I see the car all of the time.

People rarely really take the time to calculate cost of ownership on what they have. It can be a real eye opener. You essentially pay for anything that has moving parts each and every year no matter who makes it.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #18
bairjo

Quote:
I take it you never worked in a manufacturing plant? While most manufacturers have a goal of zero failure rates....it is a goal, which is very rarely achieved in mass production of cars or the components put in them. However, it would be nice know the failure rate of your part in question. I suggest you do a little home work and maybe you can come up with that information. If they are having a high failure rate, then you have a point and an issue to pursue. Otherwise, your quality survey sample quantity consisting of your dads car and your car, well, just is not a good sample of what is out there. Good luck if you choose to look into it and let us know what you find out.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote