Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #73
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
Hey Max having the gps and the wifi on will drain ur battery faster
Roger that, I've learned that lesson the hard way!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:32 AM   #74
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
OK. I'm making some progress. Out of a dozen phones, I've only about 3 left now:

1. HTC Hero

2. Blackberry Bold 9700

3. Nexus One

I say "about" because there is always a close second or third ;)

No device out there is perfect, and I am further restricted by the choice of carriers, plans, how much I am willing to spend, etc.

Each of these phones has its own set of strong points and also some flaws.

Tomorrow I am going to the stores and try to play with the Hero and the BB a little bit more so I can get a better idea and try to narrow it down further.

The Nexus one is a big question mark, of course. Google wants you to believe it's absolutely perfect Seriously, they and Tmobile present it as the "best Android on the market right now" Sure it's the most powerful and gorgeous but it's not quad band and there is no tactile KB so it's not perfect.
Plus, I went through the 6 page purchase agreement for the U.S. (yes, I printed it, and read every damn word ) and Google thinks it's entitled to a whole $45 restocking fee if for whatever reason the phone doesn't work out for you. (Out here, it's tethered to TMobile on 3G , and AT&T on Edge, and TMobile's coverage can be spotty while AT&T's edge is ridiculously sluggish). Also, beware that if you engrave a google Nexus phone, you can't return it.

Last edited by tomato; 01-30-2010 at 03:45 AM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #75
tomato
Super Moderator

OMG, how long does it take to get used to the keyboard of the HTC Hero?!!!! Had a real hard time with that. (using the store display phone)
Old 01-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #76
tomato
Super Moderator

OK, I think we have a winner....

drum roll....

I ordered a phone today.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #77
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
OK, what'd ya get?

As for the keyboard on the HTC Hero, it does take a little getting used to. But considering that my last phone required "morse code" to type text messages (y'know, to type 'howdy' you have to type '44 666 9 3 999') it is still a lot easier. Sure, my son's phone with a keyboard is quicker, especially considering he can type with his two thumbs faster than I can with all ten of my fingers (but on my phone I hunt 'n peck with one finger); but the Hero is an improvement for me.

And I still love that I can have Dean Martin's Ain't That A Kick In The Head? as the ringtone when my wife calls!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 PM   #78
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
drum roll....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
OK, what'd ya get?
+1

The suspense is killing me... Please say you got a Google phone!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #79
tomato
Super Moderator

I hesitate to say because I might disappoint a lot of people, but I got a beautiful Blackberry Bold 9700 w/ TMobile.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-33785661.html

That device is a HUGE improvement over a lot of the older Blackberries in a lot of ways.

You should see that thing in person, I mean it's absolutely gorgeous. Built like a tank. Great call quality, great battery life, incredible display (you can see the screen real well in direct sunlight which was important to me), fits extremely well in the hand (so I won't drop it), tactile keyboard with raised keys, WIFI, GPS, camera / flash, all that, and everything on it is standard so I can use my headsets, adaptor, etc. No proprietary anything. You can open the device easily if you need to change the battery or the card YOURSELF.

In the beginning, I kept touching the screen, but once I got over that, and learned a few commands, I found that the device is incredibly responsive.

The Internet experience of course lags years behind what you guys with Android phones can do, but they're going to keep coming out with Android devices and they're only going to get better, so I don't mind waiting a little bit for the right device for me. (A Hero with a slider KB would have been PERFECT, and the SAMSUNG MOMENT is just a little too bulky.)

I kept looking at half a dozen phones, and always came back to the BB. The device has a lot of great qualities, plus TMobile worked with me and got me an economical plan that fits my needs (most of the plans cost close to $100 and force you to buy a lot of whenever minutes, and I don't really talk all that much on my cell). They've also agreed to unlock it so I can use it in Europe.

I also like that I can just pop my sim card in there and I'm ready to go. No porting numbers or dropping numbers (last time I changed carriers, they managed to drop my number and I had it for years!!)

I couldn't get used to typing on the Hero and made a lot of mistakes, even when dialing phone calls (of course, I was using the display phone, so who knows how long that thing had been up without a reboot and how people treated it, but still, the experience wasn't pleasant.) I think that people like me ( coming from a RAZR) who never text or hardly ever), probably need a tactile KB to start with.

Also, I find that SPRINT sill employs people who don't know what the f..ck they're talking about. While trying to sort out some of the details, plans, etc., I got contradictory answers every other day. Finally, today, I just gave up with Sprint and called back TMobile and got the BB.

I just hope the coverage / network with Tmobile doesn't become an issue when all these Nexus One people get on the network (like what happened to AT&T when all these iPhone people joined the network, in San Francisco the AT&T network is really, really bad).

Last edited by tomato; 02-01-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #80
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
+1

The suspense is killing me... Please say you got a Google phone!

Sorry

Although, that's my plan B. In California, we have 30 days to return the phone and cancel the contract (other states, 14 days only). So if the BB doesn't work out, I could always send it back, pay a small restocking fee, and get the Google phone instead, but then the plan rates are a little higher, or if I want to keep my plan, I'd have to buy the phone right out. Plenty of time to think about that.

PS Don't kick the BB until you try it ;)

Seriously, according to CNET it is one of the TOP 5 phones right now (others are iPhone 3GS, Motorola Droid, Nexus One, and something else, I forget.) Most sites gives this particular BB many thumbs up (except for the browser)

See, having the BB now allows me to function and do what I need to do on the go, while I can now take my time and keep my eyes open for what's coming in the market in the next year or so.

It is possible to get out of the contract early, so it's not a death sentence or anything

Last edited by tomato; 02-01-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #81
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I just upgraded from a LG Voyager to a Blackberry Tour 9630. I got it mostly for two reasons: I needed to be able to get full html email and follow links in them, and for Pandora. The AUX port is the same size as the AUX port in the yaris so it plugs right in and I haven't touched my MP3 player since. It also charges separately from the audio. You get REAL internet on it and so far I've found some great free apps. It can also let me use my phones internet on my laptop. The camera is only a 3.2megapixel but the pix look good. Overall I'm really liking it.
What kind of apps do you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staypuft View Post
blackberry bold 9700, love it, i hate virtual keypads. battery is great, calling quality is real good. i came off an iphone and a g1. the bb is my choice overall so far. mostly because of call quality and battery life
You gave up an iPhone for a BB? wow. Don't you miss the ease of internet browsing, the touch screen and the large display size of the iPhone?

Call quality and battery life were important factors for me too. Having a device that can stay on standby for days without needing a charge is a strong plus for me because I'm infamous for forgetting to charge my cellphones.

Well, mine is on its way now. :0)

I love that they give you a little case with a belt clip to put it in, too. It's a detail, but nice touch. Who does that anymore?!

Last edited by tomato; 02-01-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #82
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Looks like a solid buy to me!

I have a BB 8820 myself, and I do like it a lot, but the Nexus One is mighty tempting...

That optical trackpad on the 9700 looks interesting... Sure looks better than the trackball on my BB, which needs to be cleaned up every now and then.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #83
tomato
Super Moderator

Hey, I'm glad you approve!

Yeah, that's what the tmobile guy said, he didn't like his trackball at all because it gets dirty, and it looks like BB is going to get rid of them on all models. I like the feel of the trackball better myself, but I know exactly what you're talking about (same with computer mice).
Old 02-01-2010, 01:18 AM   #84
tomato
Super Moderator

By the way, if anyone of you is looking for a smart phone, I found this spreadsheet most useful

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...ktwpCyNu5lbrWQ

and this site

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...ompare=Compare

lets you make comparisons of devices side by side (CNET used to do that as well, but now the comparisons are too streamlined and not very useful)

(the nexus one isn't there yet, but it will be, patience).
Old 02-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #85
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Pie #2 View Post
Here's my phone:
CutiePie#2, your phone may not be a smart phone but it's a smart choice.

It made Editor's Choice at CNET in Sept. 09,
and still has the "excellent rating" as of now

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/...-33770733.html

Last edited by tomato; 02-01-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #86
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Android FTW! I have an old G1, and also recently got an HTC Tattoo, its much smaller, though the screen is nowhere as good, but the OS and user interface is excellent
It's CUTE!!! (ahem... *cough* I mean that in a good way )
The OS and UI are the same as our HTC Hero here in the US.
The Hero is not wider but longer.

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/HTC-...ew-r_2303.html

Last edited by tomato; 02-01-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:54 AM   #87
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
it's unlocked yes but 'available for use' <<<note the quotes please
only on t-mobile......
Yes, that's right.
If anyone is interested in the Google One, please note that right now, it only works on 3G on Tmobile, and on AT&T's Edge network.

A Nexus One for Verizon is coming out in March, so we'll see if they decide to manufacture a CDMA only phone/

I was thinking if they come up with a phone that works on *any* network, then I would consider it, even with a virtual keyboard.

But also keep in mind that not all carriers offer plans if you bring in your own phone. Sprint apparently doesn't (I asked).

shopping for plans is almost as complicated as shopping for the phone itself

Last edited by tomato; 02-01-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #88
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I currently use a BB Curve 8350i for work, on a Nextel network. I love the phone but hate the network. For my personal use I have the Env Touch on Verizon, I actually looked at the iphone in the store and did not like the interface or the missing multitask ability, that I have on both of my phones. Plus its on AT&T's network which I hear nothing but complaints from people I know. My father always has call quality issues and call drops all the time (in NYC). My one friend that I know owns an iphone has gone through 4, cause they just stopped working(wasnt covered btw) and also complains of call quality. I actually tried the Droid in the Verizon store and was pretty impressed with it, I would have gotten that, if it wasnt for the additional data plan cost.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #89
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Glad you finally made a choice, gl with the bb :)
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #90
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Good luck with the Crackberry.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote