Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
GUNCLAP
I've made a post!

Drives: 2019 Yaris Sedan L Manual
Bought a 2019 Yaris Sedan L Manual Last Night

Hi All. I'm new here. I'm in SoCal.

I traded in my 2011 Wrangler Rubicon last night for a 2019 Yaris Sedan L Manual. I'm going to miss that Wrangler, but it's all good.

I've only put around 50 miles on the Yaris, but, overall, it's a nice drive. I haven't red-lined it or anything as I'm still in break in mode. Driving manual is always fun, especially on under powered cars like these. I've cornered it a little bit and I would say it's responsive for a regular car. I'm coming from a Scion FR-S and a Lexus IS200T, so there's a big difference. I considered the Nissan Versa, but the product features were just not there. My sister has a 2013 Yaris @ 225k, with no issues, so I figured it's reliable. I've read stories of people going 500k on these cars.

My wife and I love to haggle, so we got a pretty good price for it, too.

I'm going to leave everything stock except better tires and a tow hitch.

The only draw back is the sound/stereo system. There's no sound and the music section of the stereo has no options at all (AM FM XM ETC), so I have to go back to the dealer today to get that fixed. They tried fixing it late last night, but they weren't able to. I'm tempted to unhook the battery for a while and let it reset. Maybe it'll work.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone!
GUNCLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Welcome! Your sister's yaris is a totally different car, but hopefully yours is reliable, as well.

The current yaris sedan is a rebadged mazda 2.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Not a suggestion--I would match-mark the serpentine belt, then loosen it and set it for, or just a teense beyond, a chirp on the occasional cold start. (Over-tight belt is my guess on why some of these cars lose water pumps.)

Don't do it though w/o reading threads here until finding about pry-bar tightening damage.

(Maybe all the new ones are set perfect. But the manual instructions want a tensiometer and I don't see how you can use one w/ the engine in the car...so I think they get overtensioned in servicing)
The Yaris doesn't have a belt tensioner, that's why.
The mazda2 aka Yaris Sedan has an automatic belt tensioner, so there is nothing to adjust.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
But you gotta love the simplicity of the old 1nz. Belt tension is accomplished by the alternator. One less part to fail.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
The Yaris doesn't have a belt tensioner, that's why.
The mazda2 aka Yaris Sedan has an automatic belt tensioner, so there is nothing to adjust.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the correction. I would prefer the automatic tensioning to anyone else doing it on the vehicles I've owned.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
zimmer

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Welcome aboard! Sounds a good decision for you. Good luck and have fun.
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Congrats and kudos for getting the manual! The hatchback version will not have one IIRC. Even though it is quite a bit different from previous generations there's a wealth of knowledge and friendly people to answer questions on this forum.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the styling and look forward to your impressions as I may get one myself one day!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote