Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #55
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
whoa not 100$ off we should be oooing and ahhing and thanking Steve for his good and kind gesture....NOT

100$ off a piece of kit that costs up to 800$ is peanuts. its an overpriced piece of chinese components which costs them about 10$ to make. sorry not impressed
There's only one part of that statement that has some merit. It does indeed cost them $10 in manufacturing costs, while the components inside add up to $219.35 for a total of $229.35 for the basic 16GB, Wi-Fi only model that was originally $499.00.
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #56
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall View Post
Are the Xoom's specs impressive, yes. Does Honeycomb have a lot of rich and exciting features, yes. However I can't justify the price for it when a 16GB WiFi only iPad 2 is a good price and really all the space I need to watch movies and browse the net on the go.
I agree with this part. The current gen Android tablets are obscenely expensive, but that's also exactly why Android will always be the better choice IMO... Allow me to explain:

To me initial <insert product here> price is not as important as overall <insert product here> value. What is value, you ask? To me, it boils down to number of features and technological relevance and reliability.

I believe an Android device's value curve will degrade much more gracefully than with Apple's model, which is apparently designed to make last-gen models obsolete ASAP.

For example, the iPhone 3G (not 3Gs) will not be getting an iOS update anymore, even though the hardware hasn't really changed that much between models if you think about it. OTOH, Linux operating systems (like Android) tend to be much more forgiving in that respect.

Last edited by tk-421; 03-18-2011 at 03:33 AM. Reason: trying to explain myself a bit better...
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #57
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
@tomato - Not to change the subject but you mentioned cloud computing. I would say you should stay as far away from it as possible. It is not the wave of the future unless, like Google, SalesForce et al you have a vested interest in it. It sounds good in theory, but in practice it's a major fail.

Think about it - to be smart you should keep local backups of all your data in the event there is some issue with your data in the cloud. And if you think about it, having to keep local backups sort of invalidates the whole purpose of cloud computing in the first place.

Case in point - the recent outage of GMail that caused so much havoc.

It's nothing more than a tech fallacy much like Web 2.0...
No problem changing the subject, I think everyone knows that Apple has a sale on last year's iPad until they run out, everything else since those couple of posts is just us talking and as the OP I got no problem with the discussion going wherever ... thread is all yours, guys ! (well within reason, right PK? )

You're correct that everyone should have 2 backups on different media.

I happen to disagree about the future of cloud computing, but I would not store *everything * up there either just yet. For one thing, there is always a privacy concern that's not yet been fully addressed IMO.

But look at it from my perspective. At the moment, besides the iPad (and my phone) I have pretty ancient equipment around (desktops and laptop are close to 5 y old, maybe older) and I've been known to "misplace" a USB key or two, so I do leave some documents on the cloud on a permanent basis. I like to have them up there, so I can access them from wherever when I need them. Also, for sharing documents with others, it's really ideal, IMO. You just send them the link.

Of course, the cloud is only as good as your internet connection. If you don't have internet access, then you can't work :(

BTW, I have 3 gmail accounts, and did not notice anything missing. I think only a very very small amount of users were affected by the outage, but people were incredibly vocal immediately , "don't be Evil" etc...

Last edited by tomato; 03-08-2011 at 08:21 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #58
tomato
Super Moderator

pk, just for you

Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #59
tomato
Super Moderator

Old 03-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #60
Crandall
H8R

Drives: 08 White RS
Quote:
and you getting this info from? if you are talking patent fees, its nothing compared to the markup they charge for the thing. The actual components are peanuts compared to the MSRP
He was making a reference to the labor being only ten dollars. Where as the actual guts of the unit cost two hundred and nineteen dollars. It was pretty clear.

And I'm sorry you think there's like a ten dollar mark up on the Xoom? The purpose of a business is to make a profit, let's not forget this.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #61
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall View Post
He was making a reference to the labor being only ten dollars. Where as the actual guts of the unit cost two hundred and nineteen dollars. It was pretty clear.

And I'm sorry you think there's like a ten dollar mark up on the Xoom? The purpose of a business is to make a profit, let's not forget this.
I'm pretty *sure* PK gets what he is saying. What PK is asking is where he came up with those numbers. Correct me if I am wrong.

* EDIT

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?

Last edited by frownonfun; 03-09-2011 at 08:12 AM.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #62
tomato
Super Moderator

^ well now that you explain it that way... I'd say you got a point there.

Won't change anything for me, though. I guess I'm no mother Theresa and I just really enjoy my iPad
Old 03-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #63
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
Quote:
and you getting this info from? if you are talking patent fees, its nothing compared to the markup they charge for the thing. The actual components are peanuts compared to the MSRP
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/New...Estimates.aspx

I think $399 is a great price for the entry level model, no way I would pay for any other one knowing this though.
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #64
tomato
Super Moderator

How tablets are actually great productivity tools, Lifehacker

http://lifehacker.com/#!5779982

Pretty good article.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #65
tomato
Super Moderator

No reaction? hmmm, that's too bad, it was a good article ...

PK, I saw this and thought of you .. hehehehe!!!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #66
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
How tablets are actually great productivity tools, Lifehacker

http://lifehacker.com/#!5779982

Pretty good article.
I read it but I'm not buying some of the advantages listed.

Your work is completely distraction free lol oh cmon. Seriously? Maybe if you have a lot of distracting stuff on your laptop you might need to close some of it. Problem solved. I don't know that it's ever my computer that is distracting anyway but that's just me.

It's safer Why, because @snorkel42 said so? Laptops can connect through the same technology tablets can.

It's faster Again, seriously? So I should go out and buy a tablet since MS Word takes 1 second to load instead of 2 seconds? And if your PC or laptop is running that slowly (and it's relatively new) it's probably because you have too much shit running.

I'll give you that the instant on, extended battery life, and portability are good points though.

Annotating documents seems a bit frivolous as I've never seen anyone who actually needed to do that (on a regular basis) and even then it's not that hard to click the highlight button and drag over a line of text on a laptop either.

EDIT I guess if you don't have a laptop already then I can see why maybe you'd want to go with a tablet. USBs seem like they'd be essential to me but maybe not for some. It's the people with a smartphone, laptop, netbook, ipod, e-reader, and a tablet that i don't get.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #67
tomato
Super Moderator

Not to beat a dead horse, but for me, instant on, portability and weight is crucial (well portability and weight are crucial). I'm just no longer wiilling and /or able to carry a ton of weight in my backpack anymore, only for emergencies, and I don't do it with pleasure, believe me.

For "serious" work, sure, I go back to a regular computer but no one said any device will fully replace another. It's just that one device might be more adapted to a given situation than another...
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #68
tomato
Super Moderator

PK, I'm done trying with you

It's just, that I can't wrap my head around people who bash technology only because it's [MS] [APPLE] [Google] [insert what you want here].

Steve Jobs is what he is, it's no secret, the internet is full of "opinions" ;) about him (just Google "Steve Jobs is" and watch what pops up ), and I'll give you that a lot of people using Apple-only products tend to confuse the company with a cult / religion but should that prevent me from using something that their engineers have made that works great for me?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #69
tomato
Super Moderator

For those of you who are interested the big iPad day is tomorrow, then.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/10/i...ores-1am-pt-o/
Old 03-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #70
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but for me, instant on, portability and weight is crucial (well portability and weight are crucial). I'm just no longer wiilling and /or able to carry a ton of weight in my backpack anymore, only for emergencies, and I don't do it with pleasure, believe me.

For "serious" work, sure, I go back to a regular computer but no one said any device will fully replace another. It's just that one device might be more adapted to a given situation than another...
I gotcha. Portability and weight are good selling points. I guess I've just never been the type that needed any form of computing on the go. The only reason I have my netbook is for when I go on trips out of town. Other than that, it just collects dust.

But to each their own.

And I too don't understand hating some technological device based solely on it's brand. It's not like any of the other companies really care about you or something. They are all out to get as much money out of you as they think they can get. To think that apple is anymore evil than any other tech company is delusional.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #71
tomato
Super Moderator

Not only that but engineers don't spend a lifetime working at any given company anymore.

They'll work for Apple for a few years, then go somewhere else... Former Google employees went to Facebook. It goes on a lot.

I don't get the hate. I don't get the cult either.

To be completely honest I'm still the same person who has a little decal of an Android peeing on an Apple on the side of my car, but it's mostly as a reaction to the strong Apple culture in the SF Bay Area (or should I say "cult"). In reality, I love Google Android (clearly ;) [and many other Google products] but you couldn't pry my iPod or my tablet out of my cold- dead hands and if someone gave me an iMac I would find myself playing with it for hours on end Just sayin'
Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #72
tomato
Super Moderator

iPad 2 reviews on Tech Crunch

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/09/ipad-2-review/

(Not for you, PK )