Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
New to Yaris and Yaris world

okay, here is the deal, i'm a 18 year old college student in ontario canada. i've saved up all the money i've basically ever made and on october 23rd, put it all towards the 2010 yaris RS. its sick, haven't gotten it yet, still in shipment but soon. i've had a few problems off the bat so far already. first off, big problem, i got the car blue but my gf has already named it blueberry......wtf is that? i need help, what are my options with this? lol. now to my real problems, i have yet to find out proper break in for the brand new car. i'm worried seeing as i'm in canada and its getting cold i have to be very careful with what i do. i am experienced with nitro engines and know how important it is to get them to running temp quickly using heat guns and such to keep engine in good condition. i also run a small cash 100% guarenteed mechanic shop in my garage so i know most of my shit. my last question is what is the proper mpg or l/100 km and how long, on average will a tank last in mph or kph
yaris2010RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I dont agree with your financial logic of putting all the money you've ever saved into an ever depreciating liability like a brand new economy car,a used one wouldnt suffice? but hey whatever floats your boat eh.
Running the car in these days is just a matter of taking it easy for the first 500 kms.Nothing special needs to be done for winter driving just start it up and go,do regular maintenance and the car will be very reliable for the next 10yrs or 300,000kms.

If you drive with a light foot L/100kms should be 7-8 around town and 5.5-6 out on the highway,my 08 sedan will usually get 500kms per tank around town in winter and i've gone over 700 on the highway in summer,it may have done another 100k but i fill the tank when the last bar on the gas gauge remains and before it starts flashing..
Welcome to the forum yaris2010RS

Last edited by jambo101; 11-17-2009 at 06:24 AM.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Welcome to YW!

Are you thinking about adding nitrous to it eventually?

Last edited by tk-421; 11-17-2009 at 12:46 PM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Congratulations on the purchase of your first car!
Be sure to post pictures when you get it!
Can't tell you how long your gas tank will last, depends on your driving habits, etc.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
welcome to yw!
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Good for you! Very few people at your age will ever own a new car. When I was parking my car outside I let it warm up a minute or two while cleaning the windows of ice. There is a cool engine light on the dash. The Yaris is one of the fastest car to warm up that I have ever owned. I usually drive 350 - 400 miles between 10 gallon fill-ups.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
advocate

Drives: car
As far as breaking it in, if i remember correctly, when I read the manual it said something like "Do not drive at a constant speed for the first 5,000 miles"

Yeah I know it sound crazy but every time I got on the freeway I would sit in the slow lane and accelerate up to 70 then get off the gas to 55, then back up to 70... then back down... can you see where this is going?

Haha anyways I couldn't wait for the first 5,000 miles to end, I hated that crap. But I refused to incur any unnecessary damage to the car.

If you want to make sure you preserve longevity, especially in the winter:

1) Read the manual for recommended driving instructions
2) drive very slowly and go easy on the gas when the cool coolant temp light is on. This sucks because driving slowly means it takes longer to heat up AND driving slowly means waiting longer for the heater to kick in too but... you gotta do what you gotta do

good luck with the car.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
lol, thanks all. now when you say drive slow when its cold you mean only speed wise or keep rpm's low also? in the last few years my moms 01 camry in cold temps wouldn't warm up unless we put it in 1 or 2 (auto) and kept the rpm's high...was this bad? i have made more then enough room for my moms car and mine to park very nicely in the garage (haha dads car stays out, thats what he gets for not buying a toyota :P momma was on my side) i have heard different things from turn it on and let it idle till its warm or as you said it, drive it right away, i dont care about pollution or gas, whats better for the car? i will also be sure to ask the dealer about the changing speeds thing, i have never heard of that and my mom got her toyota new.....funny....lol, it has 286,xxx on it....maybe thats y its making funny sounds. as for jambo101's post, i'm sorry you feel that way but as i do mechanic work out of my garage its mostly to friends who have paybe a few thousand dollars or a car or suv that isn't a toyota who are not only attracting police to them but they are older with thousands of dollars in problems, yes as soon as i leave the lot its worth less then what i payed but i dont have to put any repair parts into it for a good 5 - 8 years. also i was noticing that the 07-09's used still cost about 15-19 G, for me to not know how the first 10,000k on it we driven its not worth it for the trouble down the road. as for tk-421, yes i may be 18 but i dont have money to give away, this car was a huge step and i've worked hard for all my money, so no, nitro isn't in the plan, not gonna lie was really considering a turbo..... i haven't even thought anout rims. if i wanted to waste money and rice something out i would have gotten a civic....... i got this car beacuse it was cheap, i love the RS and i wanted my first car to be standard and brand new. its fuel efficient, wont attract cops and its a toyota....will last me forever. i dont even have it i love it already. i'm worried about the standard driving in the winter..... any tips?
yaris2010RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
for the first 1000km just drive conservatively at varying speeds.....thats all you really need to do....don't idle too long in the winter either

welcome to yarisworld....hope to see you at a westend toyotanation meet in mississauga some time...keep your eyes peeled in the canada forum....they happen the second wednesday of every month
Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
welcome
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote