Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2010, 01:51 AM   #37
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device - $489.00
iPad 16GB - $499.00
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:49 AM   #38
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakurov View Post
Apple products always make me lol...reminds me of...

And what happens when the battery goes...never mind...
hahaha! be careful, someone seeing this image could say that you're making their case, look at how beautiful and elegant the apple device is, compared to all that mess on the right you call a computer
Old 01-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #39
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
hahaha! be careful, someone seeing this image could say that you're making their case, look at how beautiful and elegant the apple device is, compared to all that mess on the right you call a computer
True, but if you can't use it because your monitor is in the shop to fix the webcam it doesn't really matter.

I don't think the iPad will succeed as an eBook reader either. There's a reason why I still carried physical books with me on trips even though I had a perfectly good laptop to read them on. So when I bought my first Sony Reader with the intention of saving weight and space while traveling I was pleased to find how much more natural it is (and easier on the eyes) to read using a device with eInk designed for a more natural reading experience.

The thing I really don't like about Apple is how they try to corral everyone into using only their stuff. We don't need a new port design when MiniUSB is perfectly functional and plainly ubiquitous. We don't need new forms of file compression or devices whose content can only be had through Apple services. I won't even buy smaller electronics from any manufacturer that doesn't provide standard ports and forces me to buy yet another tangle of cords and accessories that will only be usable on that generation of the product.

Anyhow, I actually hope the iPad boosts the industry as happened with the iPhone because that would just provide me with more and better choices from the competition.

Last edited by Altitude; 01-31-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #40
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm07yaris View Post
I don't view it as fair or unfair but as a reasonable approach to reduce the cost of the item. I would rather pay less for an item because it doesn't come with features which I believe aren't essential for the type of device such as the iPad. They should absolutely be made as available accessories for those that need/want those features.

I think the introductory price point of $499 is also very aggressive in it's respective market.
Apple's strategy is not about keeping costs down (at least that's not their main focus). It costs less to make a standard port such as USB than it is to create a proprietary one (basically a matter of supply+demand).

Here's some proof of what I mean:
  1. The estimated bill of materials (BOM) for the iPad is $290. That means Apple earns roughly a 40% profit on each unit. (More info: http://bit.ly/94uQyC)
  2. They can make $100 Android netbooks (with WiFi, ethernet, and USB ports galore) nowadays. Sure, the iPad is faster and has a bigger screen, but is it worth paying roughly 4 times more than this netbook because of those two things?
  3. If Apple's focus were to keep costs down, then this comment by Steve Jobs himself would be complete BS:
Quote:
"What we want to do is deliver an increasing level of value to these customers, but there are some customers which we choose not to serve. We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk; our DNA will not let us do that. We've seen great success by focusing on certain segments of the market and not trying to be everything to everybody, and you can expect us to stick with that winning strategy."
(More info: http://bit.ly/2MG4Wp)

And finally, regarding your last post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm07yaris View Post
Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device - $489.00
iPad 16GB - $499.00
Please check out the estimated BOM for the Kindle 2 (I couldn't find the BOM for the DX version): $185 for a $359 device (~$174 profit), as opposed to $290 for a $499 device (~ $209 profit). And remember that the Kindle already has 3G built in.

Last edited by tk-421; 01-31-2010 at 07:33 PM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #41
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
So what on earth could this thing be actually useful for? I honestly cannot think of an reason anyone would want one.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #42
tomato
Super Moderator

Why not? The right advertising has a miraculous effect on what people want.

Have you ever in your life found yourself *wanting* something you didn't even know existed 5 minutes before? that's how they sell all kinds of stuff to us, including cars, appliances, information ... you name it.

For the record, I don't see myself getting one any time soon (b/c I already have a laptop, a desktop, an iPod, etc.) but maybe someone who doesn't yet own an iPod touch, or a netbook, or a laptop, or a smartphone, will want one.

Let's just wait and see what will happen. I'm almost certain Apple can pull it off (once more).
Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #43
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Why not? The right advertising has a miraculous effect on what people want.

Have you ever in your life found yourself *wanting* something you didn't even know existed 5 minutes before? that's how they sell all kinds of stuff to us, including cars, appliances, information ... you name it.

For the record, I don't see myself getting one any time soon (b/c I already have a laptop, a desktop, an iPod, etc.) but maybe someone who doesn't yet own an iPod touch, or a netbook, or a laptop, or a smartphone, will want one.

Let's just wait and see what will happen. I'm almost certain Apple can pull it off (once more).
^I"m in that same boat, I've already got an Ipod, and a Laptop and phone. I get enough headaches looking at my laptops/Desktops LCD screens, I dont need/want another. Plus there are features this device is missing before I would even consider it. i.e. built in camera, Flash support(until html 5 is in full effect), multitasking, more storage (sorry 64 GB I will eat up in a week), and a replaceable battery so i dont toss the thing when the battery finally does go down in efficiency, like my ipod thats only 2 years old and dies from about 30 minutes of use. Samething happened with my 5 year old laptop, but i just replaced the battery and problem solved.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #44
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
What the iPad should've been: http://bit.ly/aC8Fum
(They even got the name right!)
Old 02-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #45
tomato
Super Moderator

that ^ does looks better. Still can't exactly justify the purchase, though.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #46
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

You can plug in about any old webcam and get it working on a Mac. I've done so with an ancient Logitech eyeball looking thing. Had to download a freeware utility, but no prob. Same's true with pretty much any USB peripheral. Most weren't made with Macs in mind, but work fine.

I still haven't figured out why I'd ever want one of these pads. I guess they're for the bleeding edge...
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote