Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Hotwheel

Drives: 5 dr, 5 sp., on order
3, 4 or 5 door? Help me pick one.

Ordering a new Yaris ( 5 speed, base model ), to drive to work (43 miles each way). My wife has a 09 Corolla LE that we use for the family car. I like all the yaris models just need help to pick one.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
3 door hatch. FTW!!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
3 door hatch. FTW!!
+1!!!!!!!!!!!!
Current Mods: MI Armrest; Full LED conversion (interior and exterior); RS spoiler; Tinted windows; Tanabe DF210 lowering springs; aftermarket door speakers; 12" RF P3 subwoofer with custom box wrapped in Neffy; seat covers; HID 8000K headlights; HID 3000K foglights; 13mm PG hub spacers; muffler delete with dual tip; eyelids; and.. A little red Domo mascot!
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
hyprmiler
It's cold in Wisconsin...

Drives: 2008 and 2009 Yaris Sedans
Personally I like the 4 door sedan. It is a bit larger and seats 4 comfortably. I drove the 3/4/5 door models and of all of them the 4 is what I was most interested in.

Everyone has their personal choice, but I also commute 50+ miles a day for work. Regardless of what you find,..... go with something you can deal with 52 weeks a year.
hyprmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
if you have kids, the sedan will have the most room as there isnt as much space behind the rear seats of the hatch (3 or 5dr) as there is in the trunk of the sedan...

otherwise, a 5dr with split-fold rear seats would be the most ideal....can fit large, bulky items when you need to and 2 kits seats and some stuff for a day trip

heck, i fit 13 boxes of laminate flooring in my 3dr yaris tonight...!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Hatchback FTW!!!!
Go for the convenience of 5 doors, makes it easy to haul stuff in and out, and of course,
if you have kids, you'll be thankful they have their own doors.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
Old 11-13-2009, 04:51 AM   #7
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
I have a 2008 4 door sedan and love it. My wife just bought a 2010 3 door and I am envious.
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
I like my 3 door hatch for looks, but I did need to get used to the fact that I couldn't easily throw something in the back seat. If I drove with 3 or more people in the car a lot, I would definitely go with the 5 door hatch. And if I carred a lot in the trunk I would go with the sedan, but I think the hatch area is pretty big too. Seriously its personally up to you, how much stuff and people you carry.

As nice as a 3 door hatch looks, it is a bother when you have to get out to let a friend in/out, and annoying when you have to twist yourself in your seat to get something in the back... but I don't do either of those much.. so I still love my car =)
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
I like my 3 door hatch for looks, but I did need to get used to the fact that I couldn't easily throw something in the back seat. If I drove with 3 or more people in the car a lot, I would definitely go with the 5 door hatch. And if I carred a lot in the trunk I would go with the sedan, but I think the hatch area is pretty big too. Seriously its personally up to you, how much stuff and people you carry.

As nice as a 3 door hatch looks, it is a bother when you have to get out to let a friend in/out, and annoying when you have to twist yourself in your seat to get something in the back... but I don't do either of those much.. so I still love my car =)
+1

I like the looks of the 3dr, but I think for my next one I'd go with a 5dr hatch, just for the ease of getting stuff in/out of backseat (like a puppy).

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
eht13

Drives: .
When I got mine we knew we wanted back doors for the convenience factor. I probably would have gotten the hatchback if the 5-door had been available then in the US, but number of doors won out over body style and I got the sedan instead. Having said that, though, I love the sedan. The trunk is suprisingly large (not sure how it compares to the hatch space, but it seems like it must be larger, as least horizontally). Another factor there is privacy/security of objects in the trunk; not sure if the cargo cover for the hatch is standard or an option. Anyway, like I said, I love my sedan... but if I were to get another Yaris at some point I would be torn between the sedan and the 5-door hatchback.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
I bought the sedan and am very glad that I did.

The sedan has a nice size trunk with security for the contents and four doors for passengers. The rear doors provide easy access to objects in the back seat.

As far as the looks of the sedan vs the hatchbacks, I prefer the looks of the sedan.

For my purposes, there is no advantage that I can see that the hatchback would have over the sedan.

To each his own, though. I don't think the hatchbacks are ugly or anything. I just like the sedans better.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
5 door hatch. Accept no substitute.

Last edited by tk-421; 01-25-2010 at 05:44 PM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

for what its worth, the hatch holds rear-facing child seats better than the sedan....more room....
Old 11-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
tomato
Super Moderator

Hatchback FTW!!!

Ooops, already posted that, my bad

Seriously, though, I could post that 100 times. I feel that strongly about the hatch.

The stuff you can pack in there is unbelievable.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
The stuff you can pack in there is unbelievable.
not when you have 2 kids in car seats in the back...
Old 11-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
not when you have 2 kids in car seats in the back...
good point!

If I had 2 kids in the back at all times, I'd get a Matrix, though. Just loooove the hatch style. Plus the Matrix is huge inside, and .. ok, I'll stop now. ;)
Old 11-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #17
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I have the 08 3dr hatch and do 58 miles each way with the base 5 speed. If you are generally by yourself the 3dr looks a little better.
If you have kids or pets or the occasional carpool passenger, go for the 5dr.

While the sedan might be nice too, but for me it is not distinctive looking enough. Other hb are much easier to spot in the parking lot or in traffic. ;-)
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #18
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post
I have the 08 3dr hatch and do 58 miles each way with the base 5 speed. If you are generally by yourself the 3dr looks a little better.
If you have kids or pets or the occasional carpool passenger, go for the 5dr.

While the sedan might be nice too, but for me it is not distinctive looking enough. Other hb are much easier to spot in the parking lot or in traffic. ;-)
+1

The sedan looks like just about every other sedan out there. I can rarely spot one unless I am close enough to see the badging on the rear. The HB/LB, I can spot those easily because it is different from others. Makes it more unique.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote