Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Interior Light Kit

First off sorry no DIY didn't have a camera on me, second of all sorry for the crappy pics but that's the best my camera will do in the dark... it's actually far brighter in person...

Anyways, I had two hours to kill today so me and a buddy hooked up 2 15" white streetglow neons under the dash.. Everything fits nice inside the underside of the dash with a couple of zip ties, all you really need to access is to remove the two panels which are attached by a clip on the passenger side, and a clip and two screws on the driver side.. I ran the wires to the power door lock control next to the e-brake, and hooked up a simple switch,.. ran some power form the fuse box and voila... $25CAD for the lights off the net, and a quick/fun install.. and I saved myself $137.00 off the TRDsource pricing....

Last edited by riceboy; 12-17-2006 at 02:21 PM.
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Nice ...the pics aren't that bad either....I can't wait to do mine...

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
riceboy

You might want to consider going with the smaller 9" tubes... the 15" was a tight fit on the passenger side....
Old 09-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
fred812
Authorized User

Drives: 2007 5 spd Hatch White
You can buy round neon's that are made to go around woofer's they have a clear plastic cover to protect tubes and fit nicely under the seats giving 360 degree light display, also they have a beat to music setting that looks kool for added rice effect! 4 zip ties to the seat under wire support frame in less time than it takes to hide your wires you have 2 fully wired neon rings. they have a box of blue left at a discount store here in York. they have 8's 10' 12's may see if I can get a set of 10' to fit the yaris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1575.JPG (464.3 KB, 622 views)
fred812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
tca4

Drives: Yaris RS (white)
Woo i like it =) not too bright gives me this cozy feel
tca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
riceboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tca4
Woo i like it =) not too bright gives me this cozy feel
lol.. keep your pants on buddy...
Old 09-18-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
if you dont want them too bright you can stick the lights above the pedal area (on the plastic, no below hanging) when you do it.

I'll take pics of mine and post them later....

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
More functional than fun.

After moving my overhead dome light back to accomodate my sunroof, the front of my Yaris was a little dark so I wired these babies in with the dome light circuit so they fade on with the door opening. Looks downright OEM.

Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #9
riceboy

Very nice! I like having the lights there, no need to turn on the dome light if you drop something... and I installed mine on the underside and kept the plastic panels off..
Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #10
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Nice

How about a DIY
What about wiring, where and how you wired it into the interior circuit.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:27 PM   #11
Violin

I got this kit (for a miata): http://miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProdu...eIndexID=33270 (#159-950)

I had to extend the wires for the dome light so I was already working in the headliner but you could probably pick up the wires in the pillar by the driver's door.

The blue wire is the power and the white wire with the black stripe is the ground controlled by the door switch (red(pink?) is always ground - don't use).

I figured where I wanted the lights to go and removed the center console - one bolt in cup holder, remove shift knob and switches and pop console out.

I made paper templates and cut 1" x 2 1/4" (or 2 3/8"?) holes with a utility knife on each side of the console and inserted the lights.

Crimp 1/4" female spade connectors to the wires and connect them to the back of the lights. Solder and heat shrink to the wires in the pillar and you're golden.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #12
Ayka

Drives: 07' Yaris HB | Blazin' Blue
Im in the process of installing some Interior Lighting myself on my Hatchback (No Power locks/windows) and I was going to use the exisiting 12v Outlet circuit to power 2 additional 12v Outlets.

My Problem is, I dont know which wire to splice into... there are 2 going to the Power outlet, a Gray wire, and a White-Black Wire. Which one do I splice?

Have either of you encountered the 12v outlet circuit? Or do you have another suggestion of where I can tap into a 3dr Hatch for 12v power (Underside the Driver Dash, and Passenger Dash. Im installing 2 Outlets for 2 10" Blue Neons.)

Thanks!
Ayk.
Ayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:49 AM   #13
Violin

For my sunroof power, I used these add-a-fuse suckers:

http://grote.com/cgi-bin/goc/goc.cgi...number=82-2212

I found them at Auto Zone.

I ran them from the fuse panel under the driver's side dash. The only problem is now I can't put the cover back on, but it is hidden anyway.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #14
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

I'm switching my lights over to that add-on fuse tonight, as well as my power outlets (each on their own fuse, as i should have done in the first place :rollseyes:)

will work for parts
Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #15
Ayka

(I am completely new to working on a Car, much less a Cars electronics.. so thank you with bearing with me and my questions.)

But where exactly do I plug in this Add-A-Fuse to? You said it means you cant put on the Glovebox again, is there a lower profile one, or somewhere that I can plug it in that doesnt cause that?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

There are two fuse boxes/panels one is located in the engine "bay" and the other is located (atleast in the US version) under the driver side door, near the dash - this is the one your intersted in. U have to simply remove the fuse panel cover and insert the "add-on" fuse into an empty slot.

There should be directions on the box as to the techincal aspects of the add-on fuse (i havent picked mine up yet or installed them yet either) when Violin gets back on hopefully he can give you an idea on/about the add-on fuse.

will work for parts
Old 10-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #17
Ayka

does the Fuse Box handle grounds as well? Im having trouble figuring out where to ground these two as well...

/sigh, Jump right in =P
Old 10-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
Violin

The fuse box I used is on the bottom of this:

You don't need to remove the little compartment to get at it, this just helps you see it.

There is a cover on the bottom that you remove to reveal the fuses. That's the cover that won't go back on with an add-a-fuse in place.

For grounding you'll need a bolt or screw to metal someplace. Without crawling around under the dash, I can't give you any ideas right now.