Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Chrsto4

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 5-dr HB Black
Steering Wheel Controls

Anyone know if there would be a problem with ordering a UK Yaris steering and putting it in my '08 Yaris RS? The Bluetooth and audio controls would be a nice feature. Thanks. :)
Chrsto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
unless your head unit and wiring harness are identical, those features will not be available. in short, most likely a waste of $$
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I was curious about that myself, but never checked into it because I changed to an aftermarket HU. I just pulled my 09's OEM HU off the shelf and powered it up on the bench. I tested the steering wheel control input (SW1, SW2, and SWG on the 20 pin connector).

Looking at the EWD for the European steering wheel controls, there is a switch and resistor network. The easiest functions to test were mode and Seek+. Mode is SW2 to SWG with no resistor and Seek+ is SW1 to SWG with no resistor. Jumping SW1 to SWG resulted in the frequency scanning upwards (i.e. Seek+). I stuck in a CD in and then jumped SW2 to SWG and it switched back to radio.

So, the short answer is that at least the 09's HU (part number 86120-52A20) supports steering wheel radio controls. I don't believe that the bluetooth functionality would work, but at least the radio controls would.

Besides the steering wheel, you'd also need the cable from the steering column to the radio (and possibly a new spiral cable that has the extra two wires in it).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Chrsto4

Thankz for your advice guys. I guess maybe I'll shift my focus back to heated mirrors. Cheers. :)
Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I was curious about that myself, but never checked into it because I changed to an aftermarket HU. I just pulled my 09's OEM HU off the shelf and powered it up on the bench. I tested the steering wheel control input (SW1, SW2, and SWG on the 20 pin connector).

Looking at the EWD for the European steering wheel controls, there is a switch and resistor network. The easiest functions to test were mode and Seek+. Mode is SW2 to SWG with no resistor and Seek+ is SW1 to SWG with no resistor. Jumping SW1 to SWG resulted in the frequency scanning upwards (i.e. Seek+). I stuck in a CD in and then jumped SW2 to SWG and it switched back to radio.

So, the short answer is that at least the 09's HU (part number 86120-52A20) supports steering wheel radio controls. I don't believe that the bluetooth functionality would work, but at least the radio controls would.

Besides the steering wheel, you'd also need the cable from the steering column to the radio (and possibly a new spiral cable that has the extra two wires in it).
@CTScott: How difficult would it be to remap steering wheel controls for use in a CarPC? I think I'm covered on the software side, but what about the hardware itself?

Sorry for the slight , but I figured this thread is toast anyways.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

If I still had my OEM HU in, I'd be adding switches to my USDM steering wheel right now. I am amazed that the radio really supports it.

The Gizmo Daemon would probably be fine. The easiest way to adapt it would probably be to hook up the SW1 and SW2 lines to the guts of a compatible joystick. Basically, one would connect in place of the potentiometer for each of the two axis.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If I still had my OEM HU in, I'd be adding switches to my USDM steering wheel right now. I am amazed that the radio really supports it.

The Gizmo Daemon would probably be fine. The easiest way to adapt it would probably be to hook up the SW1 and SW2 lines to the guts of a compatible joystick. Basically, one would connect in place of the potentiometer for each of the two axis.
Wow... I never thought of that. So basically any joystick with potentiometers should work, right? And I guess I could hook up some buttons the same way?

This may be in my future.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Wow... I never thought of that. So basically any joystick with potentiometers should work, right? And I guess I could hook up some buttons the same way?

This may be in my future.
Yes. I didn't look through the source code, but the description mentions being able to scroll using a joystick. You may have to modify the code to look for specific "ranges" of the joystick and map them to a function, but it's definitely doable.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
The steering wheel controls will work with aftermarket HUs if you get one of those steering wheel control adapters. Crutchfield and SonicElectronix carry a bunch of them. Some brands I can think of are PAC, Scosche, Metra, Peripheral and SoundGate.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
The steering wheel controls will work with aftermarket HUs if you get one of those steering wheel control adapters. Crutchfield and SonicElectronix carry a bunch of them. Some brands I can think of are PAC, Scosche, Metra, Peripheral and SoundGate.

Correct. Unfortunately my aftermarket HU doesn't support steering wheel controls. On my Xterra I modified the OEM steering wheel controls to work with the Sony HU I put in it (just had to change the resistor network).
Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #11
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
The head unit might support the use of steering wheel buttons ,
BUT does your clock spring , i was told no by the local toyota tech's
but they know S##T.
may be CTScott you have the answer too that as well , Please.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The USDM ones definitely would need the spiral cable to be changed. The 07-08 ones only have the horn wire and the 09's have the horn and the cruise wires. The European ones with the steering wheel controls have the 3 additional wires.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
Chrsto4

Scion substitute?

Alright, I have been across the Internet and looking at the various galleries, can I take a stock Scion xD steering wheel (that has radio controls) and put a UK or Asian Airbag Steering Cover in place of the Scion Airbag Steering Cover? I really would like the steering wheel controls but wonder if any of you uber-techs would think this had a real chance?

I know I might have to get an aftermarket steering wheel control adapter but attached are some pics that might lend some insight. Sorry about pdf format but I am having trouble loading the bmp and jpg pics so they displayed.

I defer to your wisdom.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1-ScionSteeringxD.pdf (178.8 KB, 209 views)
File Type: pdf 2-MultifuncYARISABag.pdf (155.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: pdf 3-Yaris UK Steering Wheel.pdf (92.4 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by Chrsto4; 08-16-2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Changed Pic Format
Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
You are right on the money , they fit and fit perfactly .
the problem you have is the wiring from the steering wheel controls
through the steering wheel clock spring , if these are not alredy to your clock spring then you will need too purchase
the correct one , and that is not cheap.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

There is a way around the new clock spring. If you are not doing the cruise control mod, using the OEM stalk, you can use the two wires that go through the clock spring for the steering wheel controls instead.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
Chrsto4

So if it came from the dealer with cruise already in the stalk, will those two wires on the clock spring still be available to hook up to the steering wheel controls? And are two enough if the Scion xD steering wheel has 5 functions (Mode, vol up/down, + -)? Pardon my ignorance on the electronics side. Thanks to you both so far.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrsto4 View Post
So if it came from the dealer with cruise already in the stalk, will those two wires on the clock spring still be available to hook up to the steering wheel controls? And are two enough if the Scion xD steering wheel has 5 functions (Mode, vol up/down, + -)? Pardon my ignorance on the electronics side. Thanks to you both so far.
If the cruise stalk is factory (i.e. on the right side of the steering wheel) then the wires are in use. If it is dealer/port installed (stalk on left side) then the wires are still available.

The buttons are multiplexed to work over a single pair of wires.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #18
Chrsto4

The cruise is on left so looks like we're in business. Thanks again.