Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Sedan - Painted chrome on trunk and smoked the tails (pics).

Well I finally completed my mods for the rear end. Earlier I replaced the badges on the trunk with Vios and 'S'. The next thing I wanted to do was paint the chrome piece on the trunk, body color. Finally did that. Then the last thing was to smoke the tail lights. I went back and forth on whether to paint them, buy replacements already tinted or use a film. Ultimately I decided upon the film from Lamin-X.

I carefully read the directions several times and finally decided I was ready to tackle them, including the 3rd brake light. The directions said the temperature must be at least 70 degrees out and to use a heat gun or hair dryer to work the film around the odd angles and contours. I ended up using our 500 watt halogen work lamp as it throws out quite a bit of heat. I started on the 3rd brake light as the seemed to me to be the easiest of the three to do. It was pretty straight forward and gave me the chance to work with the film. Man, that stuff is pretty thick! It does have an adhesive backing as well that activates when it gets wet. My kit was pre-cut to fit my car. It's a pretty darn good fit too, except for the 3rd brake light, that is a universal kit and would probably do two lights. The challenge was getting it on by myself! I ended up having my 12 year old daughter holding the halogen light about 6 inches away from the tail light while I was working the film into place with all my might! This is definately a two person job, especially if it's cooler weather. One to hold the source of heat and the other person to work the film. It is pretty forgiving and I repeatedly removed and reapplied it until I had it the way I wanted it. You have to keep your fingers wet and the film damp and the tail light misted and pull and stretch and squeegee and tug and pull and...well, you get the point. Whew! Finally they were on! A few little bubbles here and there and some fogging underneath from a little too much misting. The directions say that in a couple of weeks, depending on how much direct sun and the outside temp, it should all clear up. So I'll wait and see how that goes.

So, here are 4 pictures of the rear end so you all can see the different stages. Thanks for looking!

Stock, with the Vios and 'S' badges:

Chrome trim painted:

Smoked tail lights and 3rd brake light using Lamin-X film:

Slight angle from the rear:
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
minired5stby

Drives: Yaris S liftback
Good job its coming along
minired5stby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
NICE!!
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
SWEEEET ANOTHER GREAT SEDAN there is a few like this. Keep it up
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
i like that painted piece you got on the back. How did u do it?

btw i got the same color as yours! XD its not the S version though.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
looks 100X better with it painted vs chrome

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
looks awesome
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:44 AM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Thats one of the first cosmetic mods i did to my sedan too. The chrome makes the rear end look smaller and its already a subcompact its small looking as it is. Painting it gives it a more cleaner look and makes the rear end appear to be a little larger. I dont know why they made only that piece chrome its not like there is really any other chrome on the car except the toyota badge. It just feels out of place.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #9
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Anyone want to make some money and smoke my tails for me? lol I'll pay anything ... well, within reason :)

Seeing all the smoked tails have made me absolutely want them.

I had almost forgot about that chrome strip back there, I really like it painted too. That has to be one of the best mods yet, IMO.
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
The chrome makes the rear end look smaller and its already a subcompact its small looking as it is. Painting it gives it a more cleaner look and makes the rear end appear to be a little larger.
i would have to agree on that.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 AM   #11
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
looks 100X better with it painted vs chrome
agreed!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #12
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
from what i can see, great job!
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:30 AM   #13
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
nice!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #14
smofskra

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Send a message via MSN to smofskra Send a message via Yahoo to smofskra
looking damn good! I myself am not a fan of chrome.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:47 AM   #15
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
Which level of smoke is that? It came out very nice. That's exactly the shade I'm looking for.

I actually just need to make a few small circles. Do you have any of the universal kit left?
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #16
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Looks great!
What is the best way to paint over chrome? Did you strip it first?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #17
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Thanks everyone for the compliments! I have a few more pictures of the entire car in my >>>album<<< and my >>>garage<<<. For those that asked some questions, let me see what I can do to answer them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiwaru View Post
i like that painted piece you got on the back. How did u do it?
btw i got the same color as yours! XD its not the S version though.
First I removed it and used black electrical tape to cover the holes left in the trunk, just to keep out any water, dust, etc. I tried to sand the chrome with some 600 grit paper and it was too fine. I then tried 380 grit and this time I was able to scuff the chrome some. Then I used some Duplicolor self-etching primer and laid down several coats following the instructions on the can. I wet sanded it very lightly to get it nice and smooth, then I did about 5 light coats of the body color paint (again, following the directions on the can). After the appropriate dry time, I sprayed the clear coat and waalaah! It was done! The finish is not as smooth as the rest of the car, but the color in the sunlight is spot on. Honestly I didn't want to invest hours into wet sanding, buffing, etc so the finish it more of a 'matte' vs super smooth. I'm happy with it. Then I used some Meguires wax as the final step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySmily View Post
Which level of smoke is that? It came out very nice. That's exactly the shade I'm looking for.
I actually just need to make a few small circles. Do you have any of the universal kit left?
From the Lamin-X web page it is their 'smoke' version. Gun smoke is lighter and charcoal is darker. Yes, I have a piece left over that should do the 3rd brake light. Do you want it? Crap, at least I think I do, hopefully I didn't accidently throw it away! I'll have to check tonight after I get home from work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Looks great!
What is the best way to paint over chrome? Did you strip it first?
Thanks! Scuffed it up a little bit with 380 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Just enough to dull the chrome somewhat. Then I used Duplicolor self-etching primer, followed by the body color paint, then the clear coat.

I think that about covers it!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
looks great!! any closer pics of the film?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote