Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
kelevra
2012 CBR1000RR Hoo Yaaa

Drives: 08 3 door Hatch
Engine Swaps

I'm very much interested in this and have not read any recent threads on the subject, hence my quiery.

I'd like to replace my current 1.5 with a 1.8 to 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. Has anyone done this, and which Toyota engine (or other), did you use, would you use, and how easy in the fitment.

Why am I considering doing this you may ask? Simply to make it faster in a reliable sort of way. Thanks for your knowledgeable responses in advance.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
there's not a lot of info out there, but here are swaps that *have* been done:

1ZZ-FE/2ZZ-GE - 1.8L engines, 130hp for the 1ZZ, 180 for the 2ZZ. Supposedly no chassis modification needed.

4A-GE - 1.6L, an older engine but can be modified cheaply and easily compared to newer ones. Frame rail notching absolutely necessary.

3S-GTE - 2.0L turbo engine, though this is so far only hearsay, out of Indonesia...

Unfortunately, on this forum we've never yet had any firsthand experience of these swaps, mostly just vague stories.

Possible swaps:
1ZR-FE: The new 1.8L in the Corolla, also used in the TS/RS version of the Yaris in other markets, so in *theory* it should just drop in...

I've also seen a "work in project" pic of a mitsubishi 4G engine being swapped, but no idea if it actually was completed...

And let's not forget the Drift Yaris, with a longitudinal engine (some 2.4L from a pickup) and drivetrain...

Bigger than 2L, you probably won't really have space in the engine bay, but who knows...

So yeah, there's a lot of options out there depending on your budget. Personally I am getting a turbo 4A-GE installed, it's turned out a bit harder than expected, but I really dig that engine, they don't build them like they used to :D

What would really be another good budget swap would be a 1ZZ, they should run pretty cheap as they are very common... Then stick a turbo on it and call it a day :D

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
There have been lots of hopeful threads that start out wanting to swap, but few if any have ever gotten past the back-of-a-napkin planning stage. One proven mod is to go with forced induction (either turbo or supercharger) and then replace the stock internals to handle more boost. The alternative that I'm pursuing is to swap the gears to get better acceleration, without altering the engine management or emissions.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15242
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
kelevra
2012 CBR1000RR Hoo Yaaa

Drives: 08 3 door Hatch
Great info from all, especially the above link, thank you.
Engine swapping looks like a bit more than I have the time to get into.
I started a Blitz SC thread, hopefully some of you will chime in there too.
Thanks.