Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
why have fancy rims but crap tires ? I see it a lot

<rant>

it seems like a plague

I'm always seeing some post or thread about some dang superior wheelset or rim that costs $$$$, but most of the time the user will have ultra-crap and ultra-cheap tires mounted

what gives ? if you have fancy rims then finish the job and get high end
tires for cripes sake. friggin no-name tires and the house brands for 69 each...

-no grip
-don't last
-usually warp and bubble on the slightest pavement crack
-hard to balance

</rant>
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
it's all about the bling-bling... who cares if a car drives slow and handles like crap as long as it looks gooood while doing it

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
it's all about the bling-bling... who cares if a car drives slow and handles like crap as long as it looks gooood while doing it
Bingo!!! One can't see the tire brand/model without close inspection. Black and round... good enough!.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

I guess I have a different mentality. I used to race motorcycles on pavement tracks and
now I have a habit of reading the sidewalls of every car or truck tire I might walk past to
see what brand and type of meats are installed.

Plus of course of you want to sell some rims with tires attached, I hope like hell you don't
have Chen-Shin LuckyBestStar from wally-world bargain bucket installed.

grey-market tires are a scourge to safety
Old 12-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I guess I have a different mentality.
Yes you do. And I think tires are important, too. Anyone who has gone racing has their eyes opened to what tires can do for you.

BUT. What's wrong with a show car? I respect others choices for their projects, as long as they are CLEAR and AWARE of the choices they are making.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
-no grip
Perhaps it is an unintended carry-over from the drifting scene? Drifters and people who participate in those car show burnout contests get the cheapest, least grippy tires they can find for obvious reasons. Which may have made it acceptable to get cheap tires.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Perhaps it is an unintended carry-over from the drifting scene? Drifters and people who participate in those car show burnout contests get the cheapest, least grippy tires they can find for obvious reasons. Which may have made it acceptable to get cheap tires.
probably this...and those who don't drift are just copying ?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Yaristeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
probably this...and those who don't drift are just copying ?
I dunno if I would say they are copying; back in the day when money was tight for me, I would wait until I had enough money to buy parts for my car. Maybe drifters and burnouters buying cheap tires just made it acceptable to buy cheap tires?

Plus, if you check out your local free classifieds, there are a whole bunch of mom-and-pop tire/wheel shops that sell tire/wheel packages with no name wheels and no name tires...
Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
w7ist

Drives: 08 yaris lb
A lot of it is the scene. If you want stance, then you'll be going through tires faster. Cheaper tires just make sense. Plus a lot of good tires don't stretch well which is what a lot of guys are looking for.
w7ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Yaristeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ist View Post
A lot of it is the scene. If you want stance, then you'll be going through tires faster. Cheaper tires just make sense. Plus a lot of good tires don't stretch well which is what a lot of guys are looking for.
Two more good possible reasons...
Old 12-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
as a self-proclaimed tire nazi, I also find this trend atrocious
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
But there are some "no-name" tyres that are in fact very good. At the same time, some "high-end" tyres have proven to be crap!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #13
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
I know now after driving a Yaris on super sticky tires what good ones can do for performance. I also know that I like the look of my rims much more than the look of my tires. The set of tires I have now looks like the set of tires I had last time, which just so happen to look like the set of tires I had before that. Imagine!

Here's the problem though: I'm not trying to autocross my way to work every single day. Quiet tires that last a long time are good enough for me. Why pay for good stickers if I'm going to replace them 4x as often? I have a separate set of good tires on different rims for when I want to go drive around some cones like a hooligan. If I'm going from here to New York, give me the quiet tires.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
Highway Star

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
I know now after driving a Yaris on super sticky tires what good ones can do for performance. I also know that I like the look of my rims much more than the look of my tires. The set of tires I have now looks like the set of tires I had last time, which just so happen to look like the set of tires I had before that. Imagine!

Here's the problem though: I'm not trying to autocross my way to work every single day. Quiet tires that last a long time are good enough for me. Why pay for good stickers if I'm going to replace them 4x as often? I have a separate set of good tires on different rims for when I want to go drive around some cones like a hooligan. If I'm going from here to New York, give me the quiet tires.

-C
^this^

I would prefer quiet, and longer lasting tire, than high performance tires that wear out quick.

I didn't buy the yaris to rip around at high speeds, although I'm sure with a few mods the Yaris would be amazing at it. It's economical transportation that I'd like to make look nicer with good looking wheels, and quiet tires.
Highway Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #15
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Rims gotta look good for me,they don't have to be super baller,just look good and hopefully made well.

Tires.....gotta grip...and gotta last a while....I have tried cheap tires and then found they were ok but usually noisy,too much lean in sidewall on corners,and rain grip was sketchy.

I try to at least get a decent set of general purpose tires,with some grip and quality....my favorite tires so far were Neo Gens,they gripped well and were quiet untill you got on them in a corner.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
one reason: $
Old 01-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
I kill it day in day out, so I go for the better tires ;)

$$$ is probably the number one reason.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Just because a tire isn't popular in America does not mean it's a POS. Granted there are lots of POS tires out there, but there are also lots of "off brand" tires here that are major players in the rest of the world.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote