Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: What do you think?
I wholeheartedly agree; something needs to be done ASAP 16 66.67%
I somewhat agree, but this "open letter" could be improved upon (please specify how/why below) 5 20.83%
I don't agree at all / I don't care (please specify how/why if possible) 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Thanks for all the votes/responses so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
The rep level stuff, as others have mentioned, often is abused or simply turned into a "popularity contest".
I agree about that. There has to be a way to do this without abuse, however. If you have any ideas, I'd sure like to hear them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
We delete the spam as we see it, and our job doing this is made easier when the members alert us to it...
I agree that we have more helpful members than spammers. But how long do you think before that ratio completely changes? Spam bots are pieces of software that don't sleep. They post new threads at all times of day. And one bot can do a lot of spamming very quickly before it gets caught.

We may have one or two spam bots right now, but what if that number increases dramatically? Will YW members continue reporting them? Especially when the reporting interface actually limits members on reporting multiple posts in sequence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
And yes, there will always be some dummies whom create drama on the board, but I think that is necessary to keep us from getting complacent, and sometimes this board does need some humour injected into it to keep it from getting to eliteist...
There's humor, and then there's just having fun at another member's expense. All I'm saying is that there needs to be a better differentiation between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
the main problem here is (1) lack of Admin presence and (2) lack of clear instructions/guidelines for the members.

Neither of which will change soon, I think. It is what it is.
I'm a bit confused... You agree with at least one of my points, but you voted that you either don't care (which I'm sure its not the case), or that you completely disagree. Care to tell me why? TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
I think I agree most with #3, since spam is quickly gotten rid of and doesn't affect other threads. Plus, when I need to find something I looked at, say, a month ago, it starts to become a monumental pain in the ass. As for rep levels, I think it's a great idea since it's found on like Civic forums and NASIOC and all that. However, as it's been stated before, it CAN be abused. If there is a way to properly monitor and administer rep levels, then I'm all for it. Thank you, TK.
Thanks, mrbond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
-facepalm-
Eloquent as always, Charles...
Care to tell me why I'm so off-track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I also believe that some of the hostility towards new members is because they ask questions that have been long answered. I, for one, don't mind this. Yes, sure, they can use the search function, but I'm going to assume that some may not see it. It also refreshes some topics for the new people. hehehe.
Sure, but it also creates more clutter for the next guy looking for the same info, which only adds to the problem. It would me much easier to direct the person to the wiki, where he/she can make a much quicker search and get right to the meat.