Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
dj92
Embracing Curves
 
dj92's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: mid-western Germany
Posts: 256
Of almost no avail, far too long and far too small in diameter.
I've tried a quite short and straight one (went directly to a hole next to the radiator) with a diameter even slightly bigger than that of the intake last summer and the engine lost a lot of power, I had a hard time getting over 130km/h.
I think this happened because it was a textile one with a fuzzy surface.
I'm still looking for one with a smooth surface, as soon as I have new results, I'll inform you ;)
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator
 
tk-421's Avatar
 
Drives: 5D-07-LB
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
Of almost no avail
I have to agree. Here's a video that might be of interest to you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
__________________
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #3
dj92
Embracing Curves
 
dj92's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: mid-western Germany
Posts: 256
Quite interesting, I've been looking for something like this for a long time, thanks a lot!
At least the 1KR-FE has a throttle body heater that uses the engine coolant.
Blocking this might decrease the intake temperature (being not aware of this, I wondered how it could rise to up to iirc 65°C last summer).

However, I rather hope for the ram air effect in order to get past the 160km/h barrier on the autobahn ;)
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Viperoni
 
Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brampton, ON
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
Of almost no avail, far too long and far too small in diameter.
Agreed, you may get just a little more colder air going to the airbox entrance, but I honestly don't think it's enough to make a noticeable difference, ESPECIALLY with the rough surface of the split loom tubing.


The only scientific way to test this mod is to do back to back tests monitoring the Intake Air Temperature sensor.
__________________
2006 Saturn Ion Redline
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheap, diy, mpg, sedan, vios

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Cruise Control FAQ (2006-2010 Yaris) CTScott DIY / Maintenance / Service 468 11-19-2024 03:45 PM
DIY (08' USDM LB): Interior Light Color Change revnull DIY / Maintenance / Service 37 05-21-2016 12:59 PM
DIY Change Your Interior Light Grey Panels to Black KCALB SIRAY DIY / Maintenance / Service 64 01-22-2015 01:25 PM
DIY: Strut Tower Brace Bar redyaris DIY / Maintenance / Service 18 03-16-2014 06:52 PM
revamping the DIY section supmet Suggestions - Feedback - Questions 7 03-23-2009 02:01 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.