Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #19
mark293

Drives: 2007 THREE DOOR 5 SPEED
[QUOTE=SAV912;482078]How the hell is it CHILDISH to use a car the way it was suppose to be used?

If not using the clutch pedal was smoother or more economical or faster or, hell, brought magical baby unicorns back from extinction, then there wouldn't be a clutch pedal in the car. It was easier on a damn F350 because that's a work truck with some meaningful torque to it.

Don't walk onto these forums and immediately start throwing boulders in your glass house because everyone else here shut you down with your clutchless shifting.

Then maybe this is not the forum for me. I was under the impression that this forum was a place where useful ideas and opinions could be expressed without fear of abuse regarding our beloved Yaris. Im sorry you do not agree with my shifting technique and Im not holding a gun to your head to follow in my footsteps. All I was asking was if anyone else employed this technique. It looks like some do and some dont. Fine by me.

Dont walk in here....damn f350...unicorns? It is quite possible sir that the reason I do not have 500 posts is because my Yaris is trouble free and I have finer things to do then spend my unaccounted for time on an econobox forum. But good luck to you.
mark293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #20
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark293 View Post

Dont walk in here....damn f350...unicorns? It is quite possible sir that the reason I do not have 500 posts is because my Yaris is trouble free and I have finer things to do then spend my unaccounted for time on an econobox forum. But good luck to you.
Maybe that is possible. I'm right behind you in that case, as this would be my 28th post, so I've got quite a ways to go before I get to 500. But just for you, Pumpkin, I'll do my best.

My Yaris is trouble free as well and the only problem I've had with it was something I did myself. Cracking the front bumper running over a tractor gator on I95. But I hardly consider that the car's fault.

FWIW, I've tried clutchless shifting in my Yaris and found it to be cumbersome and shaky, at best. Awful grinding noises at worst. I used to be perfectly capable of clutchless shifting on my old Mark III Jetta. And I had to be. The clutch cable on that hunk of shit snapped. Twice.

If you can do it, fantastic. More power to you. It's a carefully executed art, albeit one that I don't care to perfect at the cost of my transmission's synchros. Since I got a moderator to step in though, I do apologize for my harsh first post. I still firmly believe unicorns once existed though.

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #21
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
maybe try microimageonline.com forums...

stick around here too, not all the people are pretards
Old 06-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #22
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Does anyone routinely shift without using the clutch? I did this for years on my 5 speed F350, and as long as you are in the right rpm range the shifts are just as smooth as using the clutch. The Yaris seems tailor made for this type of driving if you use common sense.
No. I don't think the clutch would like it one bit. .02
Old 06-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #23
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
No. I don't think the clutch would like it one bit. .02
clutch wouldnt care....its not getting used....

mark293, im not sure people on this site have every heard about shifting without the clutch...
Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #24
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I do it when I'm tired. I down shift w/o the clutch too. 'Cept one time, it made this HUGE clunk. Even huger than normal, and the car did a jolt slow. Idk what it was, but I ignored it.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #25
ddongbap
Banned

Btw, you guys rage too much. If hes doing it wrong, tell him so. But let him keep doing it wrong. Who cares?

Last edited by PK198105; 06-19-2010 at 03:51 AM. Reason: language
Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #26
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
A good skill to have, but it is abusing the transmission. I hurt my left leg badly in a motorcycle accident once, and had to drive myself to the hospital. . . I did it all on one leg. It was in the Yaris.

Use the right leg to engage the clutch and start moving without any gas (lucky there were no hills). Once first was going, it was easy. Clutchless shifting from there on out (and it's very easy). Any car can be shifted that way. . . but your shifts have to be perfect. Mess up once and it's a hard grind. IMO, it's not worth it since it's so easy to just press the clutch.

If I was that lazy, then I would have gotten an auto.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #27
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Truckers do it all the time, but the dont have sychro's and they are designed for this type of shifting after leaving low gear, I've heard its not good on the synchronizers also, but I'm no tranny expert. Funny, heres a video for ya, its called rev matching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLw0h...=youtu.be&a%29
Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #28
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Truckers do it all the time, but the dont have sychro's and they are designed for this type of shifting after leaving low gear, I've heard its not good on the synchronizers also, but I'm no tranny expert. Funny, heres a video for ya, its called rev matching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLw0h...=youtu.be&a%29
Rev matching = double clutching. The idea is to make the two shafts spin at the same speed before they come together. You can do that during the time the transmission's in a "neutral" state between gears without the clutch, but unless you can control the throttle so the gears have zero load on them as you're disengaging and engaging them, you're going to stress them more. The clutch is there to be used. Clutchless shifting is something to do in an emergency.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #29
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
Anyone remember "Clutch Cargo"?
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:59 AM   #30
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Does anyone routinely shift without using the clutch? I did this for years on my 5 speed F350, and as long as you are in the right rpm range the shifts are just as smooth as using the clutch. The Yaris seems tailor made for this type of driving if you use common sense.
I get lazy sometimes and grind gears from not full pressing in clutch to shift.
My truck a 1988 Ranger 4x4 was no problem to shift with no clutch. I could upshift,downshift, and even go from neutral to first with just tapping the gas while moving.
Maybe the Yaris will start to like it after 200k.
I should add that I drive trucks for a living and only use clutch to start off. If I double clutch each shift I would be on my 3rd knee by now.
A lot of tractor trailers now have automatic transmission.
Probably not the best thing to do till it gets some miles on it
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:04 AM   #31
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Rev matching = double clutching. The idea is to make the two shafts spin at the same speed before they come together. You can do that during the time the transmission's in a "neutral" state between gears without the clutch, but unless you can control the throttle so the gears have zero load on them as you're disengaging and engaging them, you're going to stress them more. The clutch is there to be used. Clutchless shifting is something to do in an emergency.
Its not the same thing though. They end up doing the same thing, but are done so in different ways.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #32
hwybox

Drives: 2006.5 Scion xB
^^ good stuff haha. I've shifted 1-4 several times in my xB, without using the clutch, and have shown a few passengers it can be done. But the pop noise when you pull the shifter to get out of a gear, it does not sound good, for long term wear and tear. I would not recommend this for normal driving at all.

xB...

My car... http://www.bbsquad.org/forum/introdu...topic6868.html
hwybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:42 AM   #33
ddongbap
Banned

Blip the gas a tad before you bring it out.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #34
djct_watt

^if you are doing it right there should be no pop sound. You need to shift to neutral at zero load; it's the moment you're neither applying
power nor engine braking.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #35
hwybox

Drives: 2006.5 Scion xB
I've done it several time and it always make the noise, maybe the xB is diff?

xB...

My car... http://www.bbsquad.org/forum/introdu...topic6868.html
hwybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:15 AM   #36
djct_watt

I've tried it on my yaris, and also on both my xA and tC without the noise. The xB1 shares the same tranny and engine as the yaris and the xA, and the xB2 shares
the same engine/tranny as the tC. So the xB is not different.