Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
That's the most scary thing I have ever heard him say. I guess he is a fan of Tienanmen square.
I thought it would be easy to find a link to this...but I can't find anything . I heard him make such a reference with my own two ears. The worst thing about it, IMO, was that he was slightly chuckling as his words tumbled out. Sadly, so many people 'give him a pass' on so many different things that I didn't think many others, if any others, would shake their heads about it or find it alarming.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #20
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I thought it would be easy to find a link to this...but I can't find anything . I heard him make such a reference with my own two ears. The worst thing about it, IMO, was that he was slightly chuckling as his words tumbled out. Sadly, so many people 'give him a pass' on so many different things that I didn't think many others, if any others, would shake their heads about it or find it alarming.
It is all about the media. They sold their soul to get him elected, and they are too cowardly to ever say they made a mistake.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #21
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Europe as is well known for being diesel car friendly. Many smart Euros own diesel engine cars for their longevity and supposedly cheap operating costs.

Well maybe they weren't as smart as they thought.

Theres pretty bad pollution in many European countries and the experts are laying it squarely on the diesel propelled cars. Here in Philly once or twice a year we do have bad pollution warnings in the weather forecast however there is no visible smog ever.

Not so in Paris.

Diesel fuel is only about 30 cents a gallon more here in NJ after maybe 15 years of being as much as 30% more. But its still more and that combined with the higher purchase price makes owning one not the economic proposition it once was...

I guess we dodged a bullet on that one.
In Europe, especially in Germany, Diesel fuel is a lot cheaper than gasoline, and their Diesel fuel is a lot cleaner than that nasty liquid soot that's being sold here. Taxes on cars and fuel are quite high over there, so people save wherever they can. Better fuel mileage, cheaper to buy the fuel, so they put up with the higher cost to buy Diesel cars. And pollution in German cities isn't anywhere near what it was in decades past, thanks to strict regulations and modern emissions control systems.
Case in point, the top dozen cargo ships in the world emit more pollution than all the cars in the world combined.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #22
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Read all about it:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...pollution.html
Old 09-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #23
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
'Today's diesel engines are the cleanest ever, high tech filters capture 99 per cent of particulates and NO2 emissions are down 84 per cent since 2000.'

Gotcha
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:26 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Volkswagen is using 'miles between fill ups' in their 'diesel marketing'. There is a big billboard above Volkswagen of The Woodlands that reads something like '800 plus miles per tank' with a picture of a Diesel (Jetta? Passat?) and a huge arrow pointing straight down at the dealership. I've seen Volkswagen TV commercials (national, or at least regional) that are attempting to illustrate that same message.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
It is all about the media. They sold their soul to get him elected, and they are too cowardly to ever say they made a mistake.
Yep.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #26
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
'Today's diesel engines are the cleanest ever, high tech filters capture 99 per cent of particulates and NO2 emissions are down 84 per cent since 2000.'

Gotcha
"Diesel engines emit 10 times the particulate matter and (more) no2 than their gas counterparts."

Old 09-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #27
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Volkswagen is using 'miles between fill ups' in their 'diesel marketing'. There is a big billboard above Volkswagen of The Woodlands that reads something like '800 plus miles per tank' with a picture of a Diesel (Jetta? Passat?) and a huge arrow pointing straight down at the dealership. I've seen Volkswagen TV commercials (national, or at least regional) that are attempting to illustrate that same message.
I loved my 240D but all the added tech that allows diesels to meet emissions laws adds to the purchase price and maintenance costs so the savings just aren't there.

The higher costs of diesel fuel is just the nail in the coffin.

Currently to lower record high stocks of fuel diesel is only 2 cents more per gallon here in NJ. But once the bluge goes away I expect the price differential to come back.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #28
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I loved my 240D but all the added tech that allows diesels to meet emissions laws adds to the purchase price and maintenance costs so the savings just aren't there.

The higher costs of diesel fuel is just the nail in the coffin.

Currently to lower record high stocks of fuel diesel is only 2 cents more per gallon here in NJ. But once the bluge goes away I expect the price differential to come back.
Yep...

.....and back when gas engines didn't reliably make it much past 100,000 miles, the scales tipped a bit more toward diesels...that could go 300,000 to 500,000 miles or more.