Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Nexus 1, Droid, or HTC something?
Get the Nexus 1 10 25.00%
Get the Droid 7 17.50%
Wait for the HTC Incredible or Evo 20 50.00%
They're all the same, get the cheapest 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #271
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
It does off some more clarity. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
i sense big brother....from Google...it's going to happen sooner or later.

Thanks for the article...I'm NOT getting an Android phone now :)

C'mon....Apple on Verizon or..import GSM phones~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
A company "reaching" into my device without my consent and removing an application I've installed really pisses me off. Amazon did that with a book they sold to Kindle users, then decided they didn't have the copyright to. Messed some people up who were in the middle of book reports and such.

I also don't like companies installing software without permission. Sony put out a whole lot of CDs that installed a rootkit on computers that played them. I haven't bought a CD from Sony in years.
It may seem Google is snooping into private matters but clearly they are preventing third party developers from collecting sensitive data that may be used illegally.

I'd certainly prefer Google doing some appropriate policing rather than the Android market getting filled with suspicious activity that endangers the private material of its users.

Apple regulates their market far more. At least Android remains a free and open market. But freedom can't mean illegal activity. Otherwise we all lose freedom.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #272
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
the original site that Altitude posted the link to , seems more pro Apple. There will always be a battle between Apple and Google and whoever comes up with a good product. Apple has it good sides but I cant stand their mentality of "we will decide for you". I'd buy an Apple PC yes because they are good for a lot of multimedia stuff, other Apple products nope because they are not the best. Google on the other hand is at least trying to be transparent and is showing they are trying. Sure there will be bumps and not everyone will be happy but at least most of their stuff is free both money-wise and ideologically
Yup. Interestingly, all the best apps by Google and on the Android market are FREE. Some of which are highly advanced expensive to develop apps like...

Google Maps and Navigation (I'd pay at least $200 for this app, seriously)
Google Earth
Google Sky Maps
Google Translate
Google Goggles
ect.....
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 AM   #273
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
This one made my day.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #274
Kal-El

iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo

This will be the funniest video you'll see this year....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD...layer_embedded

NWS for language
Old 06-29-2010, 12:19 AM   #275
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
LMFAOOO....

It's damn true...

I was snooping around and found this little thing written by someone, who kind of knows what they are talking about...

Interesting enough - http://tech.shantanugoel.com/2010/06...ty-models.html
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #276
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo

This will be the funniest video you'll see this year....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD...layer_embedded

NWS for language
that's hilarious and really well made.
Unfortunately some truth in it.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #277
tomato
Super Moderator

So... I hear FroYo is officially rolling out on N1's in the US starting today...

Anyone on here has a Nexus one?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #278
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
I am in love with the Evo's functional Bluetooth. Wireless sync and file transfers ftw
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #279
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
I really want a evo now, im stuck with the moto droid on verizon, to cancel my contract is 320$ per line and i have 2 lines :( to get with sprint, should've went with them in the beggining cheaper rates and good service in my area and the evo is sick

Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #280
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vioz View Post
I really want a evo now, im stuck with the moto droid on verizon, to cancel my contract is 320$ per line and i have 2 lines :( to get with sprint, should've went with them in the beggining cheaper rates and good service in my area and the evo is sick
don't do it!!

VZW is getting the Droid X, and after that there will be more Droids!!

There is *nothing* wrong with the Moto Droid. The EVO is faster, bigger, yes, but also has some issues. Yesterday we got an OTA update that bricked some phones. http://www.androidcentral.com/hows-y...ng-post-update

Mine wasn't as messed up as others, but some native widgets stopped working and had to be reinstalled. Annoying. (I guess there is a price to pay for wanting to be cutting edge ) but OK, overall I still think it's a great phone but not one worth paying close to $700 ETF (plus don't forget, Sprint will charge you a $35 activation fee, too)

Imagine the kind of computer you can get for that kind of money these days. (or even an Apple iPad which is quite the cool toy, despite its shortcomings)

Hang on!!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #281
tomato
Super Moderator

Sooooooo ... this is probably a good time for a little EVO feedback

EVO is working out OK. Still warming up to Sense's widgets and stuff (read, I still don't know how to use Sense ;). Sometimes, I just prefer to launch the applications myself, the old Vanilla Android way, rather than use Sense's widgets, to be honest.

My unit had a couple of little issues. I have the light leakage peeps mentioned in the geek forums (when you are in a dark environment, you can clearly see a bit of light come out from under the "home" and "back" keys) but I don't have the problem with the screen coming out.

I intend to put the EVO in a tough-case as soon as one becomes available on otterbox.com or case-mate.com anyway, so I think that'll keep the unit sealed and extra-protected and the light leakage will become a non-issue.

I've installed a bunch of conservative apps, a lot of Google stuff mostly, nothing to write home about, and a couple of games, paper toss,a version of pacman, labyrinth lite. I still have 100 MB worth of space. So far, I found what I needed in the free app market.

I put a ZAGG screen protector on the phone. http://www.zagg.com/ It looked a little funky for the first day or so, but now that it's cured, it looks great and there are fewer fingerprints on the screen now.

Small things I noticed and could do without:

Phone has a hard time deciding if it wants to turn on, at times. Once, I had to remove the battery from the unit and put it back, and then the phone was fine after that. Will have to watch that.

We got an OTA update yesterday, and the phone was buggy afterwards. Some native widgets refused to load properly, displayed error messages despite repeated reboots. I fixed it by deleting the widget and reinstalling it. This morning, another widget was acting up, again, deleted the widget and reinstalled it. Seems to have fixed it for now.

Other than that, no issue with the phone. Haven't yet experienced 4G speeds, but at times 3G seems to be plenty fast if you can believe that.

For the locals: I get good coverage with Sprint, in the East Bay, in San Francisco, OK on BART but no signal on MUNI underground. I believe the Sprint network is much more solid than T-Mo's and AT&T's right now (I know TMo is trying to catch up with HSPA+ so don't discount them entirely), otherwise, Sprint in SF is comparable to VZW in terms of network coverage.

Battery lasts me an entire day, generally, but I'm a light user (couple of hours of internet, emails pushed through all day, tweets / FB updates every couple of hours). I don't talk much on the phone.

I find that use the camera much more than I did the N1's (probably because it's easier to see the screen outside in day light). The only thing I don't like about the camera is that it gives a blue hue in the shade but you can probably change that in the settings if you have time to do it when you take the shot.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the phone. Well done, HTC!

PS. I have shown my phone to a few of the guys who work at the Apple store the other day, and they *really* like it. I think it's the screen size that makes everybody go "wow" or maybe they know a good thing when they see one ?

Last edited by tomato; 06-29-2010 at 08:38 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #282
tomato
Super Moderator

@ Vioz. I'm happy overall with the phone, but I STILL WOULDN'T PAY UPWARDS OF $650 ETF and various other fees to get it!!!

I was not on contract with anyone when I jumped ship, and I would *most definitely* have kept my N1 if I could have had signal during my commute :/ (which is when I use the phone the most). The N1 is pretty much the equivalent to the Moto Droid so I meant what I said earlier.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #283
Kal-El

Quote:
Yeah, as Tomato said, don't leave Verizon just to get the EVO. On July 15th, the Droid X will be released and it is almost the same phone as far as size/specs go. Plus, you may be able to upgrade from your Droid early thus saving you many hundreds of dollars. And Motorola build quality is arguably better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motorola-droid-x-sneak-peak-1.jpg (43.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 AM   #284
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

why won't Verizon put front cameras on THEIR versions of these smartphones?
They have Skype, I want to utilize the video call feature on Skype w/ Verizon's phone...

The Droid X should have added the front facing camera~
Or....is Verizon waiting for their 4G launch..then after that?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #285
tomato
Super Moderator

There is always a new device right around the corner. If you don't like the offerings, just wait, something better is bound to come out sooner or later.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #286
tomato
Super Moderator

This morning I decided to photograph my commute, took about 15 - 20 pics between the house and work, and emailed them. Had the phone on for maybe an hour, doing that. Killed task when not using the phone with Task Killer. By the time I got to work about an hour later, battery was like 50% drained. (EVO, stock)

Gonna be shopping for a spare battery I think. Still gonna keep the phone, but will have to buy : car charger, spare battery.

How do you peeps make the most out of your battery?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #287
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
why won't Verizon put front cameras on THEIR versions of these smartphones?
They have Skype, I want to utilize the video call feature on Skype w/ Verizon's phone...

The Droid X should have added the front facing camera~
Or....is Verizon waiting for their 4G launch..then after that?

That was one of the main reasons i liked it because of the front facing camera, and was kind of pissed when i found out the droid x didn't have one.

So im going to wait actually around december, they said the new Android 3.0 is coming out around mid-october and they are only available to phones with a minimum system requirement of 1ghz proccessor, and 512 mb ram or suttim like that, so basically evo's, droid 2.0, droid x is going to get the update, but that also means and a small rumor going around that the first 2.0 processor is going to come out around then and hopefully motorola or htc come out with a nice phone with a front facing camera and 2.0 processor and so much i can't wait til christmas

oh yea im eligible for an upgrade in november 2011 :(

Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #288
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
That was one of the main reasons i liked it because of the front facing camera, and was kind of pissed when i found out the droid x didn't have one.

So im going to wait actually around december, they said the new Android 3.0 is coming out around mid-october and they are only available to phones with a minimum system requirement of 1ghz proccessor, and 512 mb ram or suttim like that, so basically evo's, droid 2.0, droid x is going to get the update, but that also means and a small rumor going around that the first 2.0 processor is going to come out around then and hopefully motorola or htc come out with a nice phone with a front facing camera and 2.0 processor and so much i can't wait til christmas

oh yea im eligible for an upgrade in november 2011 :(
I use to own a samsung Omnia, from last year...it too had a front facing camera..but it was covered up by Verizon. All the covers for it had a hole in the front for its purpose...

I'll wait a year...see what comes during the CES show.
My contract expires next year as well...