Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Keeping her alive!
I feel your pain, it is a lot of work. But with a bit of love here and there she'll be rolling for years to come!

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Keeping her alive!
I feel your pain, it is a lot of work. But with a bit of love here and there she'll be rolling for years to come!
That's what i hope mate. Still have a few jobs to do. My drum brakes are out of whack. I still need to put the wax in the cavities and plan A for defeating the water leak in the boot has failed so its plan B (more seam sealer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Wow, loads of work. Nice little write-up with pics, too.

I thought I heard about a chemical product that when applied to rust, will chemically change it to create a barrier? Something I heard in passing and could have completely misunderstood, but it stuck and I've just never done more research on it.
There are a few different methods and products for that sort of thing. There are various acids which will eat away the rust from Citric to Sulphuric and even hydroflouric acid - i believe the chemistry is basically adding more oxygen to the iron oxide (rust) which carries it away. The converters - the main three products i can think of being Dinatrol RC-800, KURUST by Hammerite and some product made by Bilt Hamber - Hydrate 80 or something like that. I think that works by a reduction reaction which turns the iron oxide into a more stable complex by removing the oxygen from it. The one problem is they are never really 100% - it will eventually come back. Indeed even going back to bare metal and painting has a limited life span.