Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #37
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
To you macrobrew fans, particularly of the light lagers/piseners like Miller Lite, Coors, etc. I implore you to try Mama's Little Yella Pils by Oskar Blues. It is excellent, and a microbrew! Support small business.

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #38
mo_feezy

Drives: 08 Yaris S Sedan AT Black
I love beer. Northern CA is my favorite region for brewing, but I love breweries all over the country.

Next on my list of brews to pick up is "Hoptober" by new belgium.

I'm big on extreme beer, especially hoppy brews.

Last edited by mo_feezy; 09-11-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: i put fat tire instead of new belgium. I always mix the brewery name up with that beer for some reason.
mo_feezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #39
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_feezy View Post
I love beer. Northern CA is my favorite region for brewing, but I love breweries all over the country.

Next on my list of brews to pick up is "Hoptober" by fat tire.

I'm big on extreme beer, especially hoppy brews.

All the NorCal places we visited this summer were awesome.

If you like hoppy brews, you **must** try Moylan's Hopsickle. It's a triple IPA. Plus, Moylan's is located in Novato (just north of San Fran).

KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #40
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
I'm not to keen on the whole beer thing, if I do drink its probably going to be something Capt. and coke.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #41
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
I had a blast at the Hofbräuhaus in München. I drank myself silly with about 10 friends on a highschool German club trip to Europe. Awsome stuff!

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #42
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
san miguel PALE PILSEN beer
asahi black (kuronama)
and any one of the bottom listed:
Belgian beer
Czech beer
German beer
Irish beer
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #43
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I'm Thirsty

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #44
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Kasey, I don't know if anyone mentioned it in this thread already but next time you're in the Bay Area, you should try the Marin Brewing Co. in Marin County.

http://www.marinbrewing.com/index2.php

From San Francisco, take a ferry boat to Larkspur, walk over there... VOILA!! They used to have Jazz on Friday after work in the summer, so the locals would hang out outside the pub and dance, kind of a family event, as well.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #45
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Kasey, I don't know if anyone mentioned it in this thread already but next time you're in the Bay Area, you should try the Marin Brewing Co. in Marin County.

http://www.marinbrewing.com/index2.php

From San Francisco, take a ferry boat to Larkspur, walk over there... VOILA!! They used to have Jazz on Friday after work in the summer, so the locals would hang out outside the pub and dance, kind of a family event, as well.

Funny story about that... My bf and I planned to go there for lunch on our way back to SF from Santa Rosa. However... our plans the day before changed all that. We planned to start at Ace in the Hole Cider around lunch time, then go to 3rd Street AleWorks, then to Russian River (to grab a beer a friend told us about: "Consecration" a sour ale aged in cabernet barrels). We were going to go to Moylan's for Dinner, but the glass of consecration caused my bf to call an early evening. haha BTW, Consecration is NO laughing matter... it's definitely not for the faint of heart!

So.. Moylan's took priority (since Hopsickle is my bf's favorite beer) and we went there for lunch the next day instead of Marin and plan to go to Marin on our next trip. I love the idea of taking the ferry over anyway! I think it may have worked out for the best after all.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #46
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclo3313 View Post
I had a blast at the Hofbräuhaus in München. I drank myself silly with about 10 friends on a highschool German club trip to Europe. Awsome stuff!
God, we went to Hofbräuhaus in Pittsburgh last weekend... yeah, beer being served in litres, while a novel idea, is a horrible one. My stomach was not happy afterwards, I had 2 litres WAAAYY too quickly.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #47
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
@ OP: consecration... OK I'll keep that in mind :)

Yeah, there is a lot of good beer in the area. Too bad it's wasted on me, though

You might put the question to Yelp.com as well, and see what comes up before your next trip. I was racking my brain trying to remember which brewery I visited up in Sonoma County, a few years back, but I just can't remember anymore. It was on Hwy 12 (between Santa Rosa and Sonoma), worth the detour. Small business, nice people. I love it up there in the wine country, it's really friendly, real nice. I prefer wine to beer, and of course, up there there is a lot of that up in Sonoma County. Funny thing is I'm not a big drinker, but when good wine is cheap and abundant, then you find yourself with a glass in your hand a lot more often. ;)
Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #48
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
I'm a home-brewer and love the good schtuff!
I'm fortunate to be about 20 minutes from this place. I'm there as much as I can be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gabf.jpg (71.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #49
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I've also tried Yuengling Lager and Black & Tan... Enjoyed them both.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:56 AM   #50
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbauer View Post
I'm not to keen on the whole beer thing, if I do drink its probably going to be something Capt. and coke.

BTW... try mixing your captain with diet dr. pepper (or regular)... DELISH!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #51
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb

and staying true to my roots!!

KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #52
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Got some info on Stone's Vertical Epic Ale for 09/09/09 and it sounds great!

http://blog.stonebrew.com/?p=1202

For those that don't know, Stone is brewery in SoCal (San Marcos) and they come out with a Vertical Epic Ale every year since 02/02/02. It's brewed in limited batches and changes every year.

Quote:
Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale

The Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale is a bit of departure from the last two Stone Vertical Epic Ale editions, which were golden in color. The newest one can best be described as a Belgian style Imperial Porter. The beer is deep brown, with intense roasted character provided by chocolate malt.

During the brewing process, we also added dark candi sugar, vanilla bean, and tangerine peel to complement the flavors of the porter. The vanilla bean addition is fascinating, as it actually enhances the chocolate character from the roasted malts, and the candi sugar adds a nice hint of molasses flavor to the finish. The tangerine actually turned out to be quite subtle on the finish (and didn’t impart as much of an orange flavor as we reported earlier), and combines nicely with the chocolate malt character. We aged this beer on French Oak chips, which contributes a smooth and subtle woody undertone and even more vanilla flavors.

All in all the Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale is a very complex beer, the flavors evolve and develop as the beer warms in your glass, making the enjoyment of it a very fun and delicious experience!

Appearance:
This beer pours deep brown with a thick, frothy, creamy head of tan foam.

Aroma:
Many layers, starting off with chocolate and coffee from the chocolate malt, and vanilla notes from both the vanilla bean and French Oak. A balanced oak flavor comes through in the mix. As the beer warms, the influence of the Belgian yeast is more evident, as tropical fruit and spice flavors become more pronounced.

Flavor:
Begins with chocolate roast malt character and vanilla. The vanilla accentuates the chocolate nicely. Layered in are banana esters, and hints of clove, and then the finish is a bit stronger on the oak with hints of molasses and citrus from the tangerine peel.

Palate:
Medium body, very complex, and finishes very smooth. The 8.7% alcohol is not overly evident, and the flavors blend together nicely.

Overall:
A delicious, complex beer. It should age nicely over the next three years, and the flavors should continue to meld together wonderfully.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #53
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Sounds great! But what're they gonna do in 2013?

Old 09-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #54
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
For the Gearheads

Micro-brewery in Ontario, Canada

Personally I've not tried it. The name itself scares me off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10w30.jpg (62.7 KB, 30 views)