Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
U.S. Lawmakers Consider 'Cash for Clunkers'

Kind of interesting....they do not say however if you must buy American or can buy foreign as well.

A new government plan to help phase out SUVs and other aging road hogs is gaining momentum on Capitol Hill. U.S. Senators Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), and Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) have proposed the so-called "Cash for Clunkers" program which would give drivers a voucher of up to $4,500 for their old gas guzzlers. The money can then be applied toward the purchase of a more fuel-savvy vehicle.

According to The Detroit News, drivers will have a chance to buy a used or new car "with a fuel economy rating that exceeds federal targets for that class of vehicle by at least 25 percent. The vehicle must have a manufacturer suggested retail price of less than $45,000 and be a 2004 model or later." Meanwhile, the traded clunkers have to be "drivable", registered in the U.S. and have "a when-new fuel economy rating of less than 18 miles per gallon." Lawmakers say that the program can take at least 1 million hogs off the road and save 40,000 to 80,000 barrels of oil daily in four years.

Notwithstanding the opposition from aftermarket trade groups, Cash for Clunkers can work, provided that the voucher is not a blank check to former SUV drivers to spend the money on beer and beef jerky. It can also give the American automakers -- which seem to have finally found their inner green -- a much needed financial boost. The bill "would be an important part of helping getting America's struggling automobile industry back on its feet," Sen. Feinstein said.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
It will create a money pit that will buy useless, worthless cars that the owners couldn't give away. In the end it will not stimulate anything except junk yard business'.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
It's just a scam to get people buying new cars again.

Last edited by Phaeton; 07-30-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I like this scam ;)

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Since when is 2004 or later considered an "old clunker"?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
The vehicle must have a manufacturer suggested retail price of less than $45,000 and be a 2004 model or later." Meanwhile, the traded clunkers have to be "drivable", registered in the U.S. and have "a when-new fuel economy rating of less than 18 miles per gallon."
Let me get this straight.... they're gonna pay $4,500 for cars less than five years of age? These cars have to be driveable, registered in the US and have a "when new fuel economy of less than 18 miles to the gallon". Which means mostly SUVs, pickups and other heavier vehicles. Odds are that most of these cars still have payments left on them.

Does anyone realize how damn few vehicles that this law will cover? This isn't "Cash for Clunkers", this is "Cash for the re-election campaign of Schumer, Feinstein and Collins". Only ninety seven other senators who have similarly cute ideas for their constituencies.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
i missed that part, that is rather moronic. If it had been 2004 or older, well that might actually do something.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
guys, read again, there's the word meanwhile in there

Trade in:
no mention of age
less than 18mpg
drivable
registered in the US

discount eligible for:
2004 or newer new or second hand car
MSRP no more than $45,000
mileage 25% better than class average

Personally I think this is a good incentive, even though quite artificial, it will help clean things up and in theory get the automobile industry out of its funk. On the other hand, you'll see less cool old cars on the road, and owners of such cars (who don't want to trade) might have a harder time finding spare parts...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
http://blog.chinocharles.com/2009/07...-huge-success/

Its working.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
my car is not eligible :(
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Angry

I despise this. They're forcing destruction of perfectly good cars. They're not requiring much boost of mileage, and nothing with regard to emissions. It's only another bailout for the car makers.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
It basicly makes all almost new cars that have already been purchased worth $4500 less: thats you and me brothers and sisters. More money from the tax payer to business, more government corruption.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
I saw ads on TV, the other day. Toyota is participating in the program in California.

Looks like my 22 y old car wouldn't have been eligible either, too good on gas (25 MPG). Not to put down the Yaris or anything, but I still miss that old Honda now and then, really was really fun to drive. Probably wouldn't have passed the smog though, with standards getting higher and higher in california.

And I have to agree with Yaris Hilton btw. It is a shame to get people out of their old cars if they work perfectly well. A lot of older people in particular have older cars that work perfectly and they don't want to be obligated to "upgrade."
Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I flat don't agree. A billion dollars is a small price to pay to save 40 million gallons of gas annually (conservatively). We burn money for lesser causes. If only we would have spent a quarter of the money we wasted on that stupid war on programs like this!

Don't forget that this benefit is on top of the cars rolling off the line and the dealership employees that have a purpose for the next couple of months. THAT is a stimulus package.

That is all I'll say about it, though.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #15
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Actually the war and the clunker bill lhave this very major element in common: they both funnel money from the taxpayer to the military industrial complex : the republians tending to favor the more weapons oriented sector, the democrats the more domestic sectors involving organized labor.

Last edited by Bob Dog; 07-29-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #16
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
My old Chevy Caprice "Doesn't qualify" because the EPA said that the mileage was "estimated at above 18mpg" at the "time of manufacture".

Don't mind, really, though I would have liked to have sold it to someone for a "clunker".

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
it's a crap bill aim'd at the hank hill's from king of the hill.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #18
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

to the Hank Hills from the kings of capitol hill?