Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
window_lee

Drives: Yaris RS 2007
Another disappointing dealership experience

2 months ago, my transmission got some problems and I went to the dealership to got that fixed. Today, when I was changing my engine oil and I found out there are some leaks of transmission fluid. I tried to look for the leak and it is from the refill nut. the dealership completely didn't tight up the nut. I am so Fxxking mad

Everytime I go to the dealership to do something, I always have to go back there at least one more time to let them fix their stupid mistake

they are wasting my time

Do u guys have the same problem as me?
window_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I say it's time to find a new dealer

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
window_lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
I say it's time to find a new dealer
that's the only toyota dealership in my place
is it ok to go other dealership such as nissan or mazda?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:31 AM   #4
vboy127

Drives: 2002 Honda Civic Si
^^^
Agreed. It sucks enough that they over charge us for repairs and service. And on top of that they do lousy work??

This of course isn't referring to ALL dealerships.. at least the lousy work part.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I've had similar experiences with Ford and Chrysler stealerships. That's why anymore, my only trip to any dealer is to buy the car and get any warranty work done. Otherwise it's up on the jack-stands or ramps in the driveway for all regular maintenance and aftermarket part installations. At least I know it's done right, the first time.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I wouldn't take it to another brand's dealership. I'd find a good independent shop.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I agree. If your dealership is that bad, there is prolly a really good shop around. Go find it.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The problem with most dealers is they are mainly interested in making as much money as possible by moving cars in and out of the service shop quickly as possible with quality work taking a back seat.
Mechanics quickly learn that quick work over quality is what pleases their employers.

Obviously things are different (in most cases) when you deal with the owner of a private shop.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

I disagree with that statement. Quality work means your customers come back. Dealerships earn more money from service work then they do from selling cars. A lot more. Even on the most expensive of cars, dealerships don't earn too much money. On a Yaris? They are prolly lucky to earn $1000 a car. So 2 or 3 regularly scheduled maintanence appointments will get them more.

Also, if the service department stinks, customers will find other dealerships to buy from.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Greese Monkey and other fast oil change/lube places are just as bad or worse.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Greese Monkey and other fast oil change/lube places are just as bad or worse.
Would you really take your car for service at one? I would hope not. However there are many good independant mechanics out there, waiting to be found.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
I'm worried if I go to a random mechanic they won't know the yaris like the dealer does. Is that a stupid fear? I know its still just a car, but don't all cars have at least a little difference between eachother mechanically? The dealer has hopefully delt with a lot of yarii, and knows about it. I wouldn't want to be the first hatchback yaris for a mechanic and have him miss something... I need to get my 5,000 check done but I've been puting it off it since I don't want to drive to my dealer because its far..
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
I'm worried if I go to a random mechanic they won't know the yaris like the dealer does. Is that a stupid fear? I know its still just a car, but don't all cars have at least a little difference between eachother mechanically? The dealer has hopefully delt with a lot of yarii, and knows about it. I wouldn't want to be the first hatchback yaris for a mechanic and have him miss something... I need to get my 5,000 check done but I've been puting it off it since I don't want to drive to my dealer because its far..
Find a mechanic who specializes in Toyotas. He probably also does other Japanese cars. My car went to the dealer to have the TRD CAI put on right after I bought it. After seeing what they charged, I have not been back.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #14
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
contact Toyota of America and see if they have any authorized repair shops (other than the dealer) near you. They do exist.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 AM   #15
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Depending where you live most dealer shops may be on flat rate. Those are the ones you want to stay away from. The independent ones are better they take better care of thier workers. Flat rate they are focused on how quickly they can complete each job and get onto the next one. Also if you are in for a warrenty repair usually warrenty work pays half the normal labor rate. Means the mechanic is going to do the sloppiest fastest possible work because he isnt gettind paid to take the normal time it would take to do the job. hence what happend to your transmission. Thats the typical mistake someone who would make who was rushing very fast and not taking thier time.

Unfortunately people have the misconseption that independent mechanics are not as knowledgable as dealerships when its usually the other way around. Do you honestly believe the tech at the dealer has 20 or 30 years of experience working on cars? You usually are lucky if they have 5 or more. They have many different level techs working there and only a few high level master techs. If you car is in for warrenty the master tech isnt going to touch it.

You are better off finding a independent shop where you can really get to know the guy working on your car. And find someone who has extensive experience/schooling and certification and not to mention cheaper. Also he will be more likely focused on quality over quantity taking the time to complete each job to his own satisfaction making sure the customer wont have to come back and leave happy to send him repeat customers and reffers.

Or would you rather take it to some place that focuses on quantity over quality and also charge twice as much. To me the answer should be plain as day.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 AM   #16
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I disagree with that statement. Quality work means your customers come back. Dealerships earn more money from service work then they do from selling cars. A lot more. Even on the most expensive of cars, dealerships don't earn too much money. On a Yaris? They are prolly lucky to earn $1000 a car. So 2 or 3 regularly scheduled maintanence appointments will get them more.

Also, if the service department stinks, customers will find other dealerships to buy from.
Actually, most dealers dont worry if customers come back because of the demise of the independant repair shops. Most often, customer have little options when it comes to auto repair. There often isn't another dealer in the area for any given car line.

Also, cars have becom so tehnical and specialized that you often have to go to the dealer for many types of repairs and independant repair shops often do little more than brakes, mufflers and other simple things.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:57 AM   #17
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I'm fortunate to have found an honest independent mechanic that i've been taking my cars to for the last 15 years, I'm taking my 08 Yaris to the dealer now but as soon as that warranty is over the dealer will never see the car again.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:09 AM   #18
window_lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm fortunate to have found an honest independent mechanic that i've been taking my cars to for the last 15 years, I'm taking my 08 Yaris to the dealer now but as soon as that warranty is over the dealer will never see the car again.
I agree with u. i will never bring my car to the dealer as long as the warranty is over.