Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
court date coming up

Well it has been awhile since I got my first ticket. Speeding i was 17 at the time doing 91 in a 55, it was on the highway.

Well the officer pulled me and another person over I didn't know her nor was I racing with her, I told the officer I wasn't. I was a lifeguard at the time and had my lifeguard uniform on and he said where are you going, I said I'm my way to work and he had to be a smart ass and say I can see by the cloths you are wearing (sometimes i don't understand why cops have to dickheads when they talk when they are already ruining your day and driving record).

Anyways, i got the ticket in august of 2008, it has been almost 2 years now since the ticket. I post poned it twice, first and second time for being unemployed even went in front of a judge and explained he was nice and laughing about it and gave me a 5 month postponement. The courts post poned the ticket 3 times already.

Now during this whole time all of my county police force was removed from patroling the highways and the state (sheriffs and troopers) are the only ones allowed to patrol the highways.

I was wondering since the officer no longer works the highways is there a chance of having this dismissed. Also since it has been so long is there a chance the cop won't show up since it has been so long ago and a position he no longer works as or possibly he has no notes or anything of some sort to remind him what happened, I've been to court once for following to closely but I won the case because the officer didn't observe the scene of the accident, he was cool about it too he said don't worry just plead not guilty ill say "this" and your good to go.

Anyways hoping this ticket it dismissed some how, I can't afford 8 points on my license and 800$ fine at 19 years old.

And I'm not an asshole driver who drives fast all the time, i just got my license and was excited bout my car and the highways was empty, no one in sight at all haha. Now i dont even go past 70 mph today, so please dont judge me for my actions
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Aothachos
Banned

Right here it states:

"The Highway Patrol Bureau was disbanded by County Executive Steve Levy on September 15th, 2008 and its 47 members transferred to other commands. Levy justified the move on the grounds that the New York State Police ought to be primarily responsible for patrolling state highways. In the absence of more state troopers, highway patrol functions were transferred to the Suffolk County Sheriff's Office, whose deputy sheriffs are paid less than Suffolk County police officers, but have little to no experience performing highway patrol functions.[1] The Suffolk County Police Benevolent Association is challenging the disbandment."

now since that happened, that police officer no longer patrols the area where i was pulled over, I don't know what kind of work he does. But is there a good chance I can fight this ticket if he shows up saying that he no longer works the highways since state took over blah blah blah
Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Aothachos
Banned

I only had a junior license at the time, ny state your not allowed to drive with just a junior license unless you have a fully licensed driver in the passenger seat with you at the age of 21 or older. He didn't give me a ticket for that thankfully. But i could feel the cop didn't like me for whatever reason, it was my first time being pulled over and i was nervous as hell and i was polite as i can be for whatever reason he didn't like me either my skin color, race, cuz i wear glasses, cuz i was a lifeguard maybe he had a bad experience as a kid with lifeguards or something im not sure lol i didn't know what the hell to expect he comes back with a ticket and says here is your summons, i asked politely what is a summons and he said rudely "a ticket!" and left .....so i was confused
Old 02-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
the only way to get this dismissed is:

if the actual witness (the officer) does not show up to plead his side.

chances are he won't show up for an old ticket, unless you gave him a reason
to be mad at you. but budgets are tight and he may show up to make sure
you pay the fine...courts no longer just let officers blow off tickets. they need the coin.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Regarding your question on if it'll get thrown out because county cops don't patrol the highway anymore, the best person to ask that would be a lawyer that does traffic court.

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Aothachos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
the only way to get this dismissed is:

if the actual witness (the officer) does not show up to plead his side.

chances are he won't show up for an old ticket, unless you gave him a reason
to be mad at you. but budgets are tight and he may show up to make sure
you pay the fine...courts no longer just let officers blow off tickets. they need the coin.
i hope he doesn't show up, besides suffolk county cops get paid so much money for not doing as much work as new york city cops who get paid less. I think the base pay rate is 97,000 yearly for suffolk county and its 76,000 for nyc, craziness.

i gave him no reason to be mad at me, i was an innocent 17 year old working kid lol i was going to work to save lives not take a life
Old 02-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
Just pay it. I went today to pay a ticket that I had since 2006. Long story short, I had it written as a warning on my paper, but the officer turned it in as a speeding ticket. It only cost me $167. Pay it and be done with it. The time and money you will spend going back and forth between the courts to fight it are not worth it.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
How is a speed ticket 8 points and 800 dollars?
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
+1
Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHDVIPbB View Post
Just pay it. I went today to pay a ticket that I had since 2006. Long story short, I had it written as a warning on my paper, but the officer turned it in as a speeding ticket. It only cost me $167. Pay it and be done with it. The time and money you will spend going back and forth between the courts to fight it are not worth it.
never just pay it.

I have sat through full days of court (for study reasons) 12 times and tickets get tossed
when officers do not show up. and that happens a lot.

fact is, you have zero chance if you pay it.

you have a little chance if you go to court
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
New York has a different point system for offenses regarding driving record. 31 to 40 MPH over posted limit is 8 points. (In contrast 1-10 MPH over the limit is 3 points)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
never just pay it.

I have sat through full days of court (for study reasons) 12 times and tickets get tossed
when officers do not show up. and that happens a lot.

fact is, you have zero chance if you pay it.

you have a little chance if you go to court
I did show up. I have been back and forth for a year now. Why fight a ticket if you deserved it. I love how people say to fight it all the time. I was speeding and I got caught.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
But i could feel the cop didn't like me for whatever reason, it was my first time being pulled over and i was nervous as hell and i was polite as i can be for whatever reason he didn't like me either my skin color, race, cuz i wear glasses, cuz i was a lifeguard maybe he had a bad experience as a kid with lifeguards or something im not sure lol
You were doing 91 in a 55 while under the legal age to be driving alone and want to question why the police officer wasn't thrilled with you? Then have the gall to actually try and pull the race card?! And you want out of the ticket "because you don't speed all the time"?

You should be happy you didn't get in more trouble than you did, you should absolutely have to pay the full ticket.
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
I did show up. I have been back and forth for a year now. Why fight a ticket if you deserved it. I love how people say to fight it all the time. I was speeding and I got caught.
Id have to agree with him. I have gotten a speeding ticket and a "failure to stop at sign" since I have had my license and I know even though everyone does the second one all the time "rolling stop", in the end I was caught breaking the law plain and simple. So I just paid both and got over it and never do it again, I drive either the speed limit or up to 5 under and "stop" at all signs(which piss people off apparently). Im not sure if this is statewide here, but in our county/city, a case will not be thrown out anymore just cause the cop does not show up.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

exactly. Pay the small fine and be careful next time. Oh and 25 over is usually grounds for them to arrest you.

I agree about the stop signs. I get honked at all the time. I am waiting to get rear ended one day. I check my rearview when coming to a stop sign to see if the other driver is paying attention.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #16
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
yup, +1 for being rearended at a stop sign, being San Francisco, maybe the guy thought i was gonna roll through.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
"innocent 17 year old"

That's a good one. Hey pal...you broke the law. I have NO problem going the posted speed. Although I'm in no hurry to go anywhere, even to work. Adjust the two butt cheeks on top of your shoulders and find some personal responsibility.

You've got an issue. It is YOUR issue. Gain some real personal character, have some honor, and integrity.

Pay the ticket and don't come crying when YOU'VE broken the law. Don't break the law and you won't have problems.

Easy fix with the attitude mod that is in dire need here.

oh and x2 on JBougie's post.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #18
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
You realize if you have your copy of the ticket then you can prove he tampered with it, and get it thrown out?

For the OP, if you dispute the ticket and the cop isn't there as a witness you usually get off. Get there early and look for the cop, if the cop is there talk to the prosecutor and see if he will let you plea down. But these are US standards, if the ticket will be $800 you might want to find a lawyer.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote