Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Solid Bushings... Custom only?

I am thinking of a solid bushings on wishbone / anti-roll bar etc... since I am having wheel hopping when trying to do a burnout.

Is there any aftermarket parts for the first generation yaris?

What are your thoughts?
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
1. What motor mounts/trans mount are you using now?
2. Are you using a torque damper?
3. What is your suspension and how do you set it up for drag racing?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
1. What motor mounts/trans mount are you using now?
2. Are you using a torque damper?
3. What is your suspension and how do you set it up for drag racing?
1. The rear engine mount is solid nylon while the others are stock

2. Yes Nittto if yours

3. D2 Racing shocks and springs / front and rear, don't know the exact compression of the springs since they were bought 2nd hand
Old 11-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Are your struts/shocks adjustable? What settings have you tried?

I would open up that damper, take out the rubber rings, and fill that with urethane like some people do on the trans mount. That will help a lot. (but it won't be adjustable)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
Parmas

Quote:
Are your struts/shocks adjustable? What settings have you tried?

I would open up that damper, take out the rubber rings, and fill that with urethane like some people do on the trans mount. That will help a lot. (but it won't be adjustable)
Yes they are adjustable. I have the rear shocks slightly higher than front. Camber is near 0 each.

I will check on the damper thanks for the heads up...

What about the wishbone bushings? I am thinking of removing rubber bushes and make them solid screw type fitting instead plus bracing
Old 11-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Stiffen up the sturts/coilovers rebound/compression

Having one solid mount, especially one that strong, while having the others stock isn't a good place to be. Stiffen up the others by at least filling them with urethane.
Solid Delrin or Nylon ones would be custom I'm sure.

If you want to go completely solid (steel), you MUST replace all at the same time. Think about what will happen if you don't.

Also, I found that sometimes I do get wheel hop and sometimes I don't. I haven't figure out exactly how to get around it though, but I'm leaning towards that the clutch needs to get popped from a high RPM - don't know if this is actually true though.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
Parmas

What do you think about super pro ?

They have available all front bushing made of polyurethane for our yaris ----

GO TO ->>> http://203.31.191.243/fulcrumCat/

SEARCH VEICHLE --> ECHO/YARIS

APPLIES TO ->>> FRONT ONLY

CLICK SEARCH

Last edited by Parmas; 11-21-2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Parmas

What do you think about this company products? http://www.superpro.eu.com/whysuperpro/
Old 11-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

You are using slicks right? What's your pressure? I get no wheel hop at all, and I am not using solid mounts.

I set my suspension soft in front, full hard in the rear. Lift in front is ok on launch, the stiff rear causes the front to come back down and bite.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
Parmas

Quote:
You are using slicks right? What's your pressure? I get no wheel hop at all, and I am not using solid mounts.

I set my suspension soft in front, full hard in the rear. Lift in front is ok on launch, the stiff rear causes the front to come back down and bite.
No I am still on semi-slicks. Tried 15psi - 20 psi pressure but still especially on wet road.

I have my shocks hard set on both rear and front.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Viperoni

I've heard of superpro, don't know how good they are.

Whiteline makes caster bushings for the Echo, I gotta scheme some way of getting them in for next year (if I don't make my own LCA's).

Double adjustable struts/dampers would be the key, but lowering your front spring rate should also help a bit. For all out drag racing, the front spring rate should be (relatively) low anyhow.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I would try filling your other two front mount first before changing all those bushings.

My motor thrashes HARD if the wheels spin at all, but I know the stock mounts are stupid soft.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post

I have my shocks hard set on both rear and front.
This could be your problem...

If we get wheel hop under acceleration we look for one of two things. If the wheel hop is bad, like it feels as if the tires are bouncing off the ground, that usually indicates a blown shock - it cant control the spring so it hops the tires. If it is more like chatter, the tire is trying to hook but just cant bite, that usually means to much compression damping.

The downside to coil-overs that change rebound and compression simultaneously is that by the time you have adequate rebound control, you typically have excessive compression damping. If you know the shocks are still good, try softening the front damping.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

What's a semi-slick? Drag radial?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
probably like 100 treadwear tires, like R888.. not slicks per se, but such low treadwear that have tread, its not save to drive on the wet roads
Old 11-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ ha, those are my street tires
Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #17
Viperoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
This could be your problem...

If we get wheel hop under acceleration we look for one of two things. If the wheel hop is bad, like it feels as if the tires are bouncing off the ground, that usually indicates a blown shock - it cant control the spring so it hops the tires. If it is more like chatter, the tire is trying to hook but just cant bite, that usually means to much compression damping.

The downside to coil-overs that change rebound and compression simultaneously is that by the time you have adequate rebound control, you typically have excessive compression damping. If you know the shocks are still good, try softening the front damping.
Agreed, that was going to be my next suggestion - lower the front dampers compression setting if possible.

A tire with a soft sidewall should help too - R888's don't count lol
Old 11-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #18
TURBO YARIS

Drives: Yaris
Your tire pressure is too low. Radial tires sidewalls are hard not soft like slicks. The wheel hop is due to the sidewall not supporting the tire enough.
TURBO YARIS is offline   Reply With Quote