Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
My primary hobby...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3V_IWwxDVA

Things like this are why I don't have a turbo and whatnot :P That little guy there (including suppressor) is worth over $1k.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
47_MasoN_47

I have tax stamps for mine. You have to give the ATF $200 for the privilege of owning one, then wait 3-7 months for approval. Once you get used to shooting suppressed even .22 seems loud without it haha. I've got one for .22 and another for 9mm.

Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
47_MasoN_47

Yeah lol. Have to pay taxes for suppressors, my short barrel shotgun, and the full auto M-11 that's pending with the ATF right now. I've given the ATF over 1k just in taxes for permission to own toys :(

With regular ammo the range is the same, if you use the subsonic loads then they drop quicker just because they are lower velocity. Out of this gun though, it doesn't matter what ammo you use, they pretty much all exit the barrel a little under 1000fps.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Drives: 2010 LB
*Drool*

I'd rather have guns than a turbo. A turbo isn't going to help you at 3am when some punk decides he wants your big screen and the way he's gonna get it is by breaking your backglass door and take it .... but that glock 40 next to your bed ..........
Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

I do need your opinion ... I need a piece to carry with me once I get my C&C, and I am really having problems finding something that's cute/smaller/powerful enough.........do you have any suggestions? I don't want something that has a lot of kick back and I don't want to carry a .40, but finding a small .380 is kinda hard from what I've seen. So yeah ... and I don't want to spend a billion dollars :)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
47_MasoN_47

I carry a Walther PPS in 9mm, it's a good balance but it is kinda expensive. look into the Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry model in .380. They are reliable and easy to operate, plus .380 is nothing to sneeze at. It's big enough to be controllable and small enough to conceal.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lynn View Post
I do need your opinion ... I need a piece to carry with me once I get my C&C, and I am really having problems finding something that's cute/smaller/powerful enough.........do you have any suggestions? I don't want something that has a lot of kick back and I don't want to carry a .40, but finding a small .380 is kinda hard from what I've seen. So yeah ... and I don't want to spend a billion dollars :)
Taurus TCP (PT738) if you want a .380. It's better than the LCP because it locks the slide after the last round.

If you are looking for a 9mm (better round and more common than a .380), then try the Taurus PT709 Slim.

By the way, the .40 doesn't have a lot of "kick," what it has is "snappiness" as compared to the .45 ACP.

Cheers! M2
Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I am on the fence about my .380. It is a great gun choice for someone just looking for protection and not putting a lot of rounds through it plus the ammunition is expensive for plinking at the range.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
47_MasoN_47

.380 is certainly expensive, that's the main reason I switched from carrying that to 9mm. The PPS was expensive, but I've made my money back and then some just being able to shoot for cheap. I do a LOT of shooting too, so ammo costs pile up quick for me. I spent $97 just on shooting ammo this week, and I have a competition on Saturday that'll cost me some more.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Man fuck that brah I use grenades lol

U r just like me but u collect guns I collect sneakers
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
47_MasoN_47

haha yeah basically!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Taurus TCP (PT738) if you want a .380. It's better than the LCP because it locks the slide after the last round.

If you are looking for a 9mm (better round and more common than a .380), then try the Taurus PT709 Slim.

By the way, the .40 doesn't have a lot of "kick," what it has is "snappiness" as compared to the .45 ACP.

Cheers! M2
My dad S&W .45 - and that sucker is hard for me to keep ahold of. I don't like the .45 at all; he loves it and can shoot it like a pro (but he was in the military so a .45 is nothing for him), and I like the feel of the Glock .40 - I haven't shot it yet, but I really like how solid it is - and the weight isn't too much ... I am going to shoot it, but I just haven't gotten around to it. It's also compact and I love that. Compact, stout, and a smooth shot is what I look for.

Is the .380 really a good piece to carry? Is it going to really going to be effective when push comes to shove and it's needed? I don't want it to be like a .22 and just piss someone off.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
.380 is certainly expensive, that's the main reason I switched from carrying that to 9mm. The PPS was expensive, but I've made my money back and then some just being able to shoot for cheap. I do a LOT of shooting too, so ammo costs pile up quick for me. I spent $97 just on shooting ammo this week, and I have a competition on Saturday that'll cost me some more.
We went and bought 100 Winchester shots for the .40 and they were like $45 I think at Gander Mountain - and that will be done in an afternoon lol

It's almost too expensive to have to shoot someone :P

Dang it, I think I'm gonna shoot that glock tomorrow ..... helllllz yeah.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
According to the FBI report on Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness (pg 14, para 2)...

Quote:
Probably more people in this country have been killed by .22 rimfires than all other calibers combined
So it's obvious that the .22 is a lethal round.

But the question is effectiveness as it is efficiency. A larger, faster round is more likely to injure/kill its target; thus making them more preferable than the smaller, lighter .22LR.

I have several .22 rifles but I would not rely on any of them for self defense unless they were the only firearms available. And, as stated, they beat having nothing!

But as for .380, I only have one as a BUG. My primary carry weapons are all .45 ACP.

And don't be so quick to jump on the .40 bandwagon because a Glock feels comfortable to you. That's a good start, but until you shoot one you really don't know if it's gonna be a caliber you like or not. I shot a police Glock 22 (.40) last year as I don't get to shoot anything in that caliber too often (the military/NATO primarily uses 9mm, although some units get to use .45s). While it wasn't too bad, I wouldn't buy one simply because I have far too many pistols that use .45 or 9mm and I don't want to stock yet another caliber.

My best advice is to find someone who has several pistols that they'll bring out to the range and let you shoot. I do that all the time, especially for young ladies I know wanting to get their first handgun, and it helps them get a better idea of what to look for. It also allows me to introduce them to the basics of firearms safety, a critical necessity for first-time shooters!

Cheers! M2
Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Shooting didn't happen today :( The man has food poisoning so instead of shooting stuff, I've been trying to be a nurse. Poor thing :(

All this gun talk gets me excited .... I got my targets out, and now I have to decide if I am going to shoot tomorrow or wax the Yari :D Thankfully, I don't have to go anywhere to go shooting .... but still, don't have time to do both since a full detail will take all daylight hours. Boo. Maybe next weekend.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #16
47_MasoN_47

9mm is my primary defensive round. It's versatile, has little recoil, and has more than enough manstopping power. 7/35 of my guns are 9mm. Only thing I have more of than that is .22 (of course). Plus if someone busts up in my house I can dispatch them without waking the neighbors, or hurting my little earsies.

.380 is enough to put someone down with proper shot placement, but so is pretty much everything else. I vastly prefer 9mm over .380 mostly for ammo availability. It's hard to find a good .380 JHP that will properly expand, whereas there are TONS of them for 9mm. Practice is the most important thing though. I shoot my defensive gun (the PPS) at least 100 rounds every 2 weeks, if not more often. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the PPS. Hell, if you feel froggy and want to try out anything of mine I've got pistols in .22, 7.62x25, .32 S&W/magnum, .32 ACP, .380ACP, 9mm, .38spl, .357, and .45 ACP. I don't like the snappiness of .40 so I don't have any of those though.

I finally got accepted to the local gun club and have been shooting with those guys a lot. I love the competitions they have. Just about every weekend I'm shooting some sort of competition. Next Saturday is .22 pistols @ 50 yards. I absolutely LOVE shooting .22, and those matches are a blast. I'll be taking the Charger out there for the .22 pistol match :)

Old 03-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #17
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Did somebody say guns?

...I wouldn't call your title "official" gun nut, son. ;) ;)

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
9mm

. :)
Thats some James Bond shit right there son
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote