Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Lightbulb Reactions to the "Green Tips" Thread

No time to read all of this right now, but I read most of the first two posts. Really good stuff, but just one comment. You're losing your focus on the topic at hand and drifting into things like how employees are treated and how fairly a company deals when discussing "Reuse", and like workers possibly being underage and underpaid in Pakistan when discussing "Recycle".

Skipping the political commentary would make your articles more focused and a little less lengthy, which could lend them greater impact with a larger audience. Inform and educate, don't preach.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
No time to read all of this right now, but I read most of the first two posts. Really good stuff, but just one comment. You're losing your focus on the topic at hand and drifting into things like how employees are treated and how fairly a company deals when discussing "Reuse", and like workers possibly being underage and underpaid in Pakistan when discussing "Recycle".

Skipping the political commentary would make your articles more focused and a little less lengthy, which could lend them greater impact with a larger audience. Inform and educate, don't preach.
I'm glad you're enjoying most of what you have read here so far Loren, and I understand what you're saying, but I feel that it is irresponsible to attempt to separate the human element from the consumption/waste algorithm. All along the chain humans are involved, and $5 transistor radios and $20 jeans are not possible without both human and resource exploitation. They go hand in hand.

Still, I'm sure I can improve on how I weave the human element into the story. I'll work on that.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I'm glad you're enjoying most of what you have read here so far Loren, and I understand what you're saying, but I feel that it is irresponsible to attempt to separate the human element from the consumption/waste algorithm. All along the chain humans are involved, and $5 transistor radios and $20 jeans are not possible without both human and resource exploitation. They go hand in hand.

Still, I'm sure I can improve on how I weave the human element into the story. I'll work on that.
It has to do with the attention span of your average reader. Keep your statements as brief and on-point as possible. We all know about exploitation and all that, but that's a completely different topic from "Green Tips".

If your weekly entries are more than two or three average-length paragraphs, I promise you that they're going to get the "tl;dr" treatment from most of the users on this forum. That's "Too long; didn't read", if you're not familiar.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
It has to do with the attention span of your average reader. Keep your statements as brief and on-point as possible. We all know about exploitation and all that, but that's a completely different topic from "Green Tips".

If your weekly entries are more than two or three average-length paragraphs, I promise you that they're going to get the "tl;dr" treatment from most of the users on this forum. That's "Too long; didn't read", if you're not familiar.
Sorry, you lost me at "attention span". Too long, didn't read
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I just watched this awesome video and recommend EVERYONE to watch it:

http://www.clearbits.net/torrents/547-home-2009

BTW this is a legal torrent, and it is one of the best videos I've ever seen. There's tons of valuable information. For example, did you know that 20% of the world's population consumes 80% of the world's available resources? It is truly eye-opening.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Some people don't want the truth. That's fine, they can turn a blind eye to reality. We have violated spaceship earth and our future is uncertain. A voice in the wilderness cry out and is shunned. But, let that voice have his say.

"The United States contains just 5% of the world's population yet we consume 25% of its resources and produce 30% of its waste. While this has afforded us an unprecedented standard of living it has come at a tremendous cost to the planet and our fellow inhabitants in the developing world. This simply cannot last, and therefore will not last, but the less resources we use now the more there will be available for the future of all of humanity - including your own loved ones and offspring."

we have violated spaceship earth ?

--we are a product OF spaceship earth--, and we are doing what our DNA is driving us to do. ANYTHING humans do, is what is going to happen, and it is EARTH. we violated nothing.

yeah so are we gonna try to stop polluting and whatnot, yes. But a violation ? check your head. we are EARTH. accept it.

next planetary reset, earth will shake it all off and start again and again and again until the sun dies, or earth shatters
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
--we are a product OF spaceship earth--, and we are doing what our DNA is driving us to do. ANYTHING humans do, is what is going to happen, and it is EARTH. we violated nothing. yeah so are we gonna try to stop polluting and whatnot, yes. But a violation ? check your head. we are EARTH. accept it.
Actually, we're more "star stuff" than we are "Earth". And I do believe that with great power comes great responsibility. It's the ultimate excuse to call what we're doing to our planet something we were somehow programmed to do. You're making it sound like Earth wanted this in the first place or something.

Quote:
next planetary reset, earth will shake it all off and start again and again and again until the sun dies, or earth shatters
That I can agree with you about.

Last edited by tk-421; 04-26-2010 at 06:05 PM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
Loren
What?

Kudos for making good use of the feedback that you've been getting. #3 is much cleaner, easily digestible, and referenced. Good stuff!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
devoting a years worth of pent up energy by handing out green tips in a Yaris MB with so few members isn't a very economical way to go about it.
Huh?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
we have violated spaceship earth ?

--we are a product OF spaceship earth--, and we are doing what our DNA is driving us to do. ANYTHING humans do, is what is going to happen, and it is EARTH. we violated nothing.

yeah so are we gonna try to stop polluting and whatnot, yes. But a violation ? check your head. we are EARTH. accept it.

I'll repeat, there are some people who don't want the truth. That's fine, they can turn a blind eye to reality.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Huh?
What's not to understand? Playing big fish in a little pot hole puddle of a MB won't get too many eyes opened to the so-called reality, but trying to launch a year-long assignment giver project in a much larger MB will get the word out much easier, OR it just might get lost in the shuffle and drowned out by all the other voices, guess that's why we got it here, in a MB devoted to one of the most economical vehicles on the road.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
I'll repeat, there are some people who don't want the truth. That's fine, they can turn a blind eye to reality.
You should realize nothing you can say will change their opinions. Especially when you, like 99% of environmentalists, quickly start towards insults instead of any facts you might have.

What you might believe and what is fact is two separate things. Whether they coincide or not is another story.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Playing big fish in a little pot hole puddle of a MB won't get too many eyes opened to the so-called reality, but trying to launch a year-long assignment giver project in a much larger MB will get the word out much easier, OR it just might get lost in the shuffle and drowned out by all the other voices, guess that's why we got it here, in a MB devoted to one of the most economical vehicles on the road.
So... besides being sarcastic and negative (no one has to read bailout's posts).... what are you doing? ..yeah, besides the Yaris....

Bailout, I applaud you for putting it out there, *especially* on here.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #14
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
You should realize nothing you can say will change their opinions. Especially when you, like 99% of environmentalists, quickly start towards insults instead of any facts you might have.

What you might believe and what is fact is two separate things. Whether they coincide or not is another story.
You are insulting me. That's fine. But, I don't go around insulting people and I give people the respect to allow them to voice their views. Something that many on this forum don't allow.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #15
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
I allow no views!!!!

EVERYONE STOP HAVING VIEWS NOW! OR I WILL CRUSH YOUR YARIS!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #16
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
So... besides being sarcastic and negative (no one has to read bailout's posts).... what are you doing? ..yeah, besides the Yaris....

Bailout, I applaud you for putting it out there, *especially* on here.

I'm here because I drive a Yaris, you're here because you make money (even a little off of me)...Bailout is here for applause, and starting subjects with his name in them; this is not just an oppinion, it's a fact. Sorry.

Bailout, thanks for the effort and the hard work (the only thread you're devoted to, for weeks now) you're putting forward, in a high mpg mb...I still think an environmental awareness mb would be 10x more effective, or try going after driver's of gas guzzlers like Hummers, F-150s, Mustangs, etc...I'm afraid you would get called a douche and laughed out of there, IF you started every thread with your name in the subject, passing out assignments for them to follow, or you'd be shoved back to the 3rd page so fast nobody would even notice you. Thank you.

There. Answered your question. Probably shouldn't have.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 05-03-2010 at 09:39 AM.
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Quote:

It would help if people were literate and can read.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...pwater-horizon
Old 05-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Especially when ... 99% of environmentalists, quickly start towards insults instead of any facts you might have.
I haven't even contributed to this thread and I've already been insulted!

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote